Monday, March 9, 2009

"Rock The Red Tour" - The Long Journey Home

With an exciting Caps game over, and final goodbyes exchanged with my DC area buddies, the end of the "Rock the Red Tour" began.

After the game, Denie and I decided the end of a great weekend was a good reason for high calorie intake. Dinner at Gordon Biersch, which happened to be in our hotel, fit the bill nicely. This mega slice of chocolate cake proved to be too much for us, but we had a great time attempting to make a dent.



Then it was time to try and get a good nights sleep in anticipation of a long travel day Monday, followed by an appearance at Staples Center for the Kings vs Canucks. Because we can just never get enough hockey! So we left DC and transferred again through Chicago, where we unfortunately got delayed, the first snag in an otherwise perfect trip. We were cutting it close anyway getting to the game on time, and now I was getting irritated because we were probably going to be late.

At least a visit with Jake and Elwood Blues made me feel a little better....



So after about an hour delay, we started the LONG flight back to LA. The pilots fought 120 mph headwinds most of the way back, so we made up no time at all. At that point, I was resigned to missing the puck drop but hoping not to be too late. Unfortunately, by the time we hit LAX, Nadine was feeling sick, and I decided it was the right thing to do to get her home first and likely skip the game.

So we got back to Casa Donat just as the game was starting. I decided to head towards Staples anyway, figuring if the traffic was horrible I could just go home. But the hockey gods smiled, the traffic was clear, and I listened to the first period in the car on the radio, arriving at the arena just in time for the start of the second period.

The Kings played a terrific game against an always difficult Canucks squad, winning a nail-biter 3-2 and pulling within 3 points of the 8th spot in the Western Conference. Since I arrived late, I didn't get my usual "Hottie of the Night" photos, etc. But to celebrate Kevin Westgarth being back up from Manchester and in the lineup, I thought I'd throw in a short video clip. Welcome back Westie!



And in traffic downtown on the ride home, I spotted the perfect photo op to close out the perfect girls hockey weekend....



Couldn't have said it better myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment