Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Change



I arrived home from Phoenix last Friday to a changed household. I knew it was coming, but wasn't sure when. But the extra large sneakers by the door told the story...there was a new face at 5026 Peck Road.

My roommate Molly is getting married May 9, and her fiance Magnes moved in with us after making the big hop to the US from Australia. Since Molly's sister Rosie had been sharing a bathroom with Molly, she now moved into my bathroom. Now, I've shared a bathroom with two previous roommates, but it's been a while since I've needed to worry about what time I get up in the morning to make sure the bathroom isn't occupied. Let's just say the first couple of days have been rough.

I think my reaction to change is the same as most people - initial discomfort, followed by a period of bitching about it, and then finally acceptance. Right now I would say I'm firmly between stages 1 and 2, and I'm expecting more change in my life before I get to number three. Because in addition to getting married Molly and Magnes are planning on having kids, and her engagement announcement to me was followed by, "...but you don't need to move out right away."

In fairness, I never thought I would be here this long. I moved in January 2003, right as my management career with Progressive was imploding. I needed to drastically reduce expenses in case I was out of a job, and I didn't want to be committed to a lease for the same reason. Molly took me in and has been charging me insanely low rent for the last 5 years, which has enabled a lot of my travel, concert-going, and hockey habits. But for a while now, I've wanted to get back in my own space. I like my alone time, and right now I'm feeling a tad claustrophobic. And living with 3 other people who are soon going to be related is a little like being an adopted child - everyone is nice, but you just never really feel like you fit in.

So my project for April is apartment hunting and getting ready to move. Maybe change is good after all...we'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment