Saturday, March 28, 2009

Mayercaft Carrier Day 1: New Music

One of the things I truly loved about the first Mayercraft was discovering new artists. Recorded music is great, but I've always thought you get a truer sense of someone as an artist watching them live. After all, if Paris Hilton can make a record, is it really that hard? Live performance is the test of musical character.

The Sixthman crew did a tremendous job with the line-up again this year. Last year I discovered Dave Barnes, Brett Denen and Brandi Carlisle. Here are some photos of the artists I saw yesterday...all worth checking out at your local live music venue.

Brendan James really impressed me. And anyone who lists Stevie Wonder among his influences is just fine by me. He did a really superb cover of "Isn't She Lovely?"



Jessie Baylin deserves really brownie points for turning in a great performance in spite of motion sickness and major jet lag coming here from her last tour in Australia! Her music has a Jewel kind of vibe.



Erin McCarley really impressed me. Little girl, HUGE voice, great grooves and insightful lyrics! And she actually sat down on the edge of the stage after the show and patiently signed autographs and took photos with everyone who was willing to wait. Her most recent hit is a song at the end of the movie "He's Just Not That Into You." Although my favorite selection of her set was an outstanding cover of Suzanne Vega's "Tom's Diner." Support this woman - she rules!



David Ryan Harris is not a new artist to me, but he may be to you. He can rock everything from Hendrix (he did a cover of "Electric Ladyland") to booty-shakin', baby makin' music. His show at El Morrocco was PACKED, and everyone worked up a sweat and did some dancing during his set. Plus he brought up John's touring sax player, the amazing Bob Reynolds. They did a song called "Legs" that jammed so hard it blew me away! And DRH is the absolute KING of mashups - his original "Pretty Girl" interspersed with lines from "Your Body is a Wonderland/Slow Hand/I Want You to Want Me/Let's Get it On/Most Beautiful Girl in the World."



Plus DRH had a special guest....JOHN!! They basically got the whole touring band together for a classic blues track and brought the house down. Only video, so sorry you have to wait for that one too, but I promise to get them posted when I'm back to a faster version of the internet.

Until then, get out there and see some new music, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment