Saturday, March 28, 2009

Mayercaft Carrier Day 1: John Loves the Lido Deck!

The Lido Deck is the center of activity on the boat, since it has pretty much everything - food, beverage, pool, and stage. So the first big event of the day (after the lifeboat drill, of course), was the Sail-Away party, featuring our intrepid host John Mayer.



John always makes his first grand entrance onto the Lido dressed in something with a nautical theme. Last year his getup was regular shorts and a shirt with just a captains hat. This year, he upped the ante and came out in full uniform. Here's Captain Mayer in the tightest, whitest shorts I have ever seen! Are the Village People reuniting and no one told me?



Then we finally got down to some music, featuring John and his side guitarist David Ryan Harris going acoustic, but rocking it out nonetheless. John pulled out some oldies but goodies, including "My Stupid Mouth" and and especially jammin' "Who Did You Think I Was?"



Always fun to see John and DRH doing their dueling guitars thing.



And John is one of the few artists I've seen who actually acknowledges signs fans bring to gigs. It's a little hard to read in the photo, but this one has a list of favorite songs, so John used it to help poll the audience on what he should play next.



And the most special part was getting a little preview of potential material for John's new album. The song title is "Heartbreak Warfare," and I have video but the ship internet speed stinks so it's not uploading after 2 tries. I'll work on getting that to you later. I will say I was especially impressed that he managed to work the lyric "...red wine and Ambien..." into the song, so I can't wait for you to hear it.

Can't wait for the new album! But first, time to see some more new music....

No comments:

Post a Comment