Thursday, March 5, 2009

Joy, Pain and Many Hockey Pucks

Tonight's Kings game marked the end of an era...my first game without Sully. Got the news yesterday he was traded to the Carolina Hurricanes for some dude I know nothing about, then traded by Carolina to the Edmonton Oilers for another dude I know nothing about that Carolina apparently wanted back on their team. In the final analysis, it only means one thing to me - no more #12.

Now I know that these things happen all the time, because at the heart of things, hockey is a business. But somehow it feels kind of like losing my first love. Tonight was supposed to be Sully's "Lucky Jersey Contest" night, but I cried just looking at #12 hanging in my closet and couldn't bear to bring it out. So I put on my all-black 3rd jersey and went to the game in mourning. One of my favorite ushers, Luis gave me a big hug, and I felt a little better. Then the Kings played a terrific nail-biter, beating Dallas in OT 5-4. Drew got 2 assists, which made it MUCH better! OK, maybe I can do this after all.

Thanks to the Kings Care Foundation, I was able to honor my Sully with one final tribute. They had the game puck from his 7th goal this season up for bids, and I got it.







Tonight was a big night for pucks in another way too - the first time I got hit by one! I was sitting in the section next to Denie's and my regular seats in the first row behind the glass. A puck caught the top of the glass, then bounced off me into the photographers pit. Saw it coming, just couldn't get my hands up in time to catch it! The photographer that fished it out of the pit saw me, then we both saw this cute little hockey kid coming down the aisle looking for the puck. I gave the photog a look, and he gave the kid the puck. He needed it more than me.

I also picked up a Drew puck in the Kings Care bidding (a bit of a shopping spree, but I just couldn't resist!).



And the Kings have been doing a collector puck series this season, so I added Alexander Frolov to my collection.



So the "Lucky Jersey Contest" is now officially over with Sully away, and I'll be wearing my #8 every game. At least until Edmonton comes back to play the Kings, and #12 returns to the ice. Then I'll be cheering for him to score. And I'll probably cry....

No comments:

Post a Comment