Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Saying Goodbye To Flat Stanley

For all of you following the adventures of Flat Stanley during his stay with me, I have some sad news to report. Stanley is going home today. It's time for him to go back and stay with Mary, my first grade friend in Rhode Island. While I'm sad to let him go, I'm hopeful he can come back for a return visit one day. He came to me in a letter, and I'm sending him home in a package filled with mementos of all our adventures together.



Stanley and I agreed I could write his final blog as a letter to Mary. So here's what I'm sending her. Enjoy!

******************************************************

Dear Mary,

Thank you so much for giving me the chance to host Flat Stanley as part of your class project. I know the letter you sent me said I should only keep him for two weeks, but we were having so much fun we just lost track of time! I'm really sorry, but I hope all the stories Stanley shares with you and your class will make up for it.

Stanley has been a lot of places with me since November, so I thought a list of all the places he visited would help you.
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Hollywood, CA
  • Riverside, CA
  • Washington, DC
  • Harrisonburg, VA
  • Rehoboth Beach, DE
  • Lewes, DE
  • Chicago, IL
  • Toronto, Ontario (Canada)
And I've sent him back to you with some souvenirs too! Because you can't travel and not bring home things to remember the places you've been. Here are some of the things in the "Stanley Collection."
  • A book with printed copies of Flat Stanley's blog (that's like a diary, except on the computer)
  • A CD of all the photos he's taken, plus a video of him riding the elevator at the CN Tower in Toronto.
  • Official photos of Stanley and I meeting the Stanley Cup.
  • Travel brochures from the Hockey Hall of Fame and CN Tower
  • Canadian "loonie" (one dollar) and "toonie" (two dollars) coins
  • Tickets from the Kings games Stanley has attended
  • Roster cards for some of his favorite players
  • An LA Kings game program.
In addition, Stanley is now a walking collectors item, since he's covered with the signatures of the 2009-2010 Los Angeles Kings hockey team. So make sure not to wash him or get him wet...

I am very sad to see Stanley go, and all of his new friends here in LA will miss him too. But we shared some incredible adventures, and I will have those memories for life. Best of luck to you and Stanley as you continue your journey learning more about this big, amazing world we live in.

Your friend,

Meg

4 comments:

  1. that is awesome! how did you get to be in this amazing "Stanley exchange" program? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to second Michelle, You So Rock!!!! I can't wait until Mary gets the box. I'll have her call and post on your blog (I'm particularly excited about the book of the post because I had difficulty printing some).

    Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Miss Meg,
    You gave me a whole lot of things in that packet and my teacher loved it. So did I! It was so cool. I have to say, my favorite thing was Flat Stanley having all those autographs on him. You must have spent a whole lot of time on it, thank you. You made "Flat Stanley" the happiest Flat Stanley in my whole class.
    Love,
    Mary
    (dictated by Mary, all her words; typed by Mommy)

    ReplyDelete