Tuesday, August 4, 2009

In Training

Ever since I moved, I've been trying to find the motivation to use the gym in the basement of my building. It was one of the things I liked about this place when I was looking for new digs. So accessible, no more room for excuses not to get in better shape. For most of June, I put it off. Still getting organized, stuff to do around the apartment, project at work...always an excuse. Pretty much the story of my adult life.

I have struggled with my body image as long as I can remember. Even when I was a kid, at my skinniest, I had heavy thighs and a booty. No surprise I still have them, and they've only gotten bigger with age. I will never be a supermodel. It just isn't in the genes. So why bother doing anything about it? You can't overcome nature, right?

But this nagging thought was still in the back of my mind. "What if you just put in a little effort? What can it hurt? " So in July, I had a couple of business trips planned. I was traveling solo and knew I'd be bored, so I packed the gym gear and my swimsuit. And I actually used them both! It's like something in me woke up and said, "Welcome back to the world of aerobic activity! We've missed you." I started feeling pretty pleased with myself, and kept the habit going when I got back home. I turned the corner and started to believe I could make some positive and lasting changes. Maybe I'll never be a supermodel, but I can be a better, healthier version of me!

And so I started to formulate a plan, and I even set a goal. I'm going to lose 50 pounds in the next year. There, I said it.

I have a few key things working against me. I'm not a natural athlete. With the exception of cheerleading in high school, I've never actively participated in organized sports. I love being a fan, but actually doing it is another story. And I LOVE food. Always have, always will. Food is not the enemy. I know this on an intellectual level. But I'm also a stress eater, which is NOT good, because food becomes tied to emotion. And I have a terrible sweet tooth, especially when it comes to chocolate.

But I also have some enormous reasons to overcome the hurdles. Heart disease and diabetes both run in my family. And I have a lot more I want to see and do in my life, which all takes energy. I know this isn't going to be easy, but I also know I can do it. Here's how I'm going to tackle the "Better Meg" challenge...

Step One: Have a Support Network
Even serious athletes need a coach to help them get better, so I have one too. I'm lucky to have Nadine in my corner. Unlike me, she was an athlete in college and is still addicted to running. Like me, she works full time, has a house to take care of, and has all the stresses of life I deal with every day. She's the one who encourages me to stay realistic, to keep focusing on all the small goals leading up to the big one.

Nadine and I play tennis every Sunday morning now, and our tennis matches are a wonderful combination of exercise, girl talk, and coaching. I was commenting about how bad I was food-wise at the Zeta "Guys & Dolls" picnic at the Hollywood Bowl this weekend. Her responses included, "It's OK. You can't be perfect all the time. " And "Forget about the number on the scale, because you're building muscle. Are your clothes fitting better?" They are, so she reinforced I hadn't totally ruined everything. Which was exactly what I needed to hear.

Step Two: Have a Plan
We have a saying at Progressive that we get good at whatever we measure. So I sat down this past weekend and created a spreadsheet to track my workout length and intensity, as well as my food intake. I went online and found a site that tells you how many calories are in darn near everything (large banana? 121 calories, in case you were wondering), so I even get an approximate total for food with no packaging. And I'm getting on the scale every day. I'm already getting a kick out of watching the weight trend graph on my spreadsheet start to slowly tick lower.

Step 3: Talk About It
I've been inspired recently by actress Marissa Jaret Winokur, who has been blogging about her weight loss battles in for People Magazine. And it's not all success. She talks openly about the things that challenge her, the times she stumbles, and what she does to fight back. So expect "the fully skinny" from me as well.

I definitely got some bonus motivation from Justin Bourne, a former hockey player turned blogger that I follow. Here's his take on getting in training mode for hockey season.

http://www.usatoday.com/community/profile.htm?UID=9c32e7547d08b9f3&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a9c32e7547d08b9f3Post%3ae3062717-6755-46e6-b2a5-eb9488e3cd03

I find it comforting to know even professional athletes struggle with this stuff! For now, I'm off to get a good nights sleep. Hockey season starts in less than 2 months. And the "Better Meg" is gonna be ready!

3 comments:

  1. GO Meg! I'm rooting for you! Getting healthier is something we ALL need to do. Way to take the first step. If I find any yummy healthier recipes I will send them your way. You know, Pampered Chef is always full of great ideas. I'll see what I can put together for you. Looking forward to reading more of your journey. Do we get a photo timeline, too? Before and Afters? Just a suggestion. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. meg i'm so proud of you!!! i'm working on losing the rest of my baby weight (and then some...) before its time to think about the next bundle of joy. i've done weightwatchers several times, w/different levels of commitment and different levels of success. i've found the key to it all is really moderation. if that cookie looks too good to resist, eat 1/4 or 1/2, not the whole thing. i have tons of modified recipies that are WAY healthier (and in most cases easier) than the original.

    you can do it!! and if you ever need some motivation, confirmation or consultation, give me a call!!!!

    xoxo
    c

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm rooting for you, Meg! If you need another buddy is this, I'm here. I've gained back all the weight that I lose with Weight Watchers a few years ago, so now I'm on a quest to take it off. I haven't been tracking my food, like a good Weight Watcher should, but I did join the gym. So far so good. 4th day in a row since I joined on Monday. :)

    ReplyDelete