Saturday, February 13, 2010

In Training: It's All About Having Heart

Last year, when Nadine asked me if I wanted to do a 5K run with her that the Kings were sponsoring, I told her I'd meet her at the finish line and cheer HER on. At that point in my life, it was my typical response to ANYTHING involving exercise. Afraid of how out of shape I was, and unwilling to exert effort to do anything about it, I admired other people's effort, and simply tried to support them - attend the event and watch, donate money, etc.

This year, when she asked me the same question, I said yes. New year, new me....right? Time to put my money where my mouth is. So I registered for the LA Kings 5K Run to benefit the American Heart Association. My first race...ever!



A 5K is 3.1 miles, so I figured this shouldn't be that big of a deal. My normal elliptical workout is anywhere between 2.6 and 2.7 miles in 35 minutes depending on my pace. Of course, I still haven't been able to get back to my pre-holidays gym schedule, so some actual "training" for this event might have helped, but I ran short on time. At least the Kings have been playing a ton of home games the past two weeks and I've been walking back and forth to Staples Center 3 times a week, which is 2.5 miles round trip. I figured I'd be OK.

So I headed out the door at 6:45 AM this morning and walked down to Staples Center for the race. I figured a little 1.25 mile warm-up would do me some good.



My goals for the race were pretty simple. Finish, and don't be last. My actual time would be measured by this cool little chip attached to my shoe.



The blue carpet was at the start and finish line, and when you step on it, it magically talks to the pink chip and logs your start and finish time.



I also had my pedometer on my iPod going, so I could get an idea of my pace during the race. And most importantly, I had my favorite work-out buddy, coach and mentor with me!



It's such an amazing thing to have a friend with you when you try something for the first time. Feeling that tap on my shoulder when she found me at the start line and said, "I am so proud of you for doing this" made every bit of sweat and effort worth it. And when I finished, she was right there cheering me on. I wouldn't have done it without her, so thanks Denie! You're the best!

Nadine, of course, is a superwoman, and ran the thing! GREAT JOB DENIE! She also convinced me to do a Komen for the Cure 5K at Dodger Stadium in March. Piece of cake!

Because it's really not that hard to walk 3.1 miles. All it takes is 48:11 minutes, 5443 steps, 250 calories, and a good friend. And a lot of heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment