Sunday, February 28, 2010

Final Thoughts On The Olympic Games

This Olympics has been an eye-opener for me in terms of understanding human behavior. Much of the revelation has come from being an American rooting very visibly for the Canadian hockey team.



Tons of people, including some I scarcely have contact with, came out of the woodwork on Facebook, Twitter, and e-mails with comments for me, and in some cases about me. Most of them fell into the category of good-natured ribbing about my misplaced loyalties, but a few were downright mean. I refrained from saying much until now, because I wanted to focus on one thing - rooting for Team Canada in a POSITIVE way. Because politics, nationalism, and everything else aside, the Olympics is a about celebrating athletic achievement. And on that front, I had major reasons to want to celebrate.

Now that the Olympics are over, it's time for me to clear the air, vent a little, and send out some well deserved thanks. So here goes....

To the haters that suggested I am a disgrace to my country
I am privileged to live in a nation that respects my right to choose and express my own opinions, even when they go against the grain. Democracy and free speech go hand in hand. I suggest you remember that...it might come in handy for YOU some day.

To all my Canadian friends and supporters
Thank you for your friendship, love, and offers to put a roof over my head in the event the haters turn me in to the INS and succeed in having me deported. I love you more than words can say, because I knew you'd be there for me, gold medal or not.

To Brianna, Jen, Rachel, Nadine, Larry and Steve
Thank you for being my lifeline, my sanity, and my support system. And for listening patiently to all the rants and raves I didn't post throughout the whole tournament. Special props to Bri for being a "honorary Canadian" along with me at the gold medal watch party, and enduring boos from a room full of Team USA fans as we cheered our boys to victory. It's a memory I'll cherish forever. Way to represent!!!



To all my friends who chanted back "USA!" to my "GO CANADA!" cheers
I love each and every one of you for your unflagging dedication to your team. You understand exactly how I feel about mine. So we really are the same, you and I. We just wear different colored jerseys. Your boys did you proud, and you should be honored to support them.

To the combined squads of the US and Canadian Hockey teams
You are ALL warriors. Together, you brought hockey to the attention of the world, and advanced your sport more today than at any moment in recent history. If every person who witnessed your battle buys a game ticket, dons a jersey, learns to skate, or wants to play because of you, then the war is won, and the victor is the game of hockey itself. You already know hockey is for everyone. Now the world knows it too.

To Team Canada goalie Robert Luongo
This week you emerged from the shadow of a giant and showed the world how to withstand pressure at any cost. And you were destined to do it on your home ice. Congratulations and thank you.

To Team USA goalie Ryan Miller
You were a model of grace under pressure, humble and thoughtful as both a winner and loser. You were the ultimate example of good sportsmanship, and I can think of no one more deserving to be named MVP.

To Steve Yzerman, Mike Babcock, and the management and coaching staff of Team Canada
Thank you for seeing something special in a 20 year-old defenceman, and giving him the opportunity to show the world what he has to offer it. Canada finally knows who Drew Doughty is, and so does the world. Thank you for believing in him.

To Brownie, JJ, Quickie, Dewey and Zeus
You were the Kings of my Olympics. I was endlessly proud every moment you took the ice. I know you will all bring that same will to win back to the Kings for the rest of the season, and into our first play-off appearance in too many years. And I will be there in Section 114 enjoying every moment. GO KINGS GO!

And last but not least, to Drew Doughty
Thank you for being you, believing in yourself, realizing that age is just a number, knowing that heart counts more than experience, and daring to dream. You are my inspiration. The gold is yours...now go enjoy enjoy it!

1 comment:

  1. USA!!! had to say it... love ya girl, and I love your comment about supporting our teams. i really don't see it as any different than razzing the kings when the rangers or caps play them! you go girl, for having the guts to support a team that you knew would get you razzed!

    and can I say that the USA/Canada game was just phenomenal, and that people who don't even really know what hockey is were into it! I hope this can boost the popularity of the (best) sport in the USA!

    ReplyDelete