Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Meg and Michelle's Big Hockey Adventure

I couldn't let Michelle leave Los Angeles without experiencing a hockey game with me. Luckily the Kings schedule gave us the perfect opportunity the day we got back from the boat. So after some lunch, laundry (me) and a nap (Michelle), we headed out to see the Kings take on the Dallas Stars and our favorite goalie to heckle, Marty Turco.

A funny thing happened on the way to the game. We stopped by the Fox Sports Bar to have a couple of drinks (still detoxing from the Mayercraft) and wait for Nadine to meet us for burgers. Lo and behold, the minute we sit down, one of my regular bartenders - Rich - asked us if we enjoyed the cruise. HUH? How on earth did he know??? Then my brain remembered several moments when I saw him on the cruise and thought, "I know that guy from somewhere." Of course, I thought he was an actor or something and I don't like to act like a stalker in those situations, so I never initiated the awkward "Don't I know you from somewhere?...." conversation. Turns out he has a relative that works for Sixthman and invited him on the cruise, so he saw us!! Talk about six degrees of separation!

So we had a nice little chat about the trip, compared notes on alcohol consumption, and agreed a good time was had by all. He even comped us a couple of drinks - LOVE YOU RICH! Then it was back to hockey.



Michelle is no stranger to the game of hockey. When she lived in Raleigh, NC, she dated a guy from Newfoundland and therefore spent many nights at Carolina Hurricanes games. Too bad we didn't have our "A" game that night! We lost to Dallas and our playoff hopes were pretty much destroyed, but we always have fun together, and she got to see how the Drew-cam process works.

The one treat of the game was the Kings celebration to honor defenseman Sean O'Donnell's 1,000 NHL game. The actual game took place on the road, so this was the Kings first opportunity to really celebrate. I have a soft spot in my heart from OD since he's Drew's regular defensive partner, and it takes a real warrior to play that many games in a career. So in lieu of hotties of the night (which for me is always Dallas' Mike Modano), I included a video of OD's ceremony. Enjoy!



Only 2 home games left, and I'm not ready for our season to be over. Rich, I need another cocktail.....

No comments:

Post a Comment