Monday, January 11, 2010

Kings vs Sharks: Close, But No Cigar

Whenever the Kings and Sharks get together at Staples Center, a few things are pretty much guaranteed to happen..

  • The Kings fans will boo every time Rob Blake touches the puck.
  • I will meet crazy but tremendously likeable Sharks fans.
  • I will marvel at the fabulousness that is Doug Murray's hockey hair.
  • The game itself will be a battle of epic proportions.
Such was the case last night, and the Sharks rolled into town, smelling blood and ready to avenge the beating they received at the hands of my Kings last Monday. For the Kings, this match-up was critical not just because the Sharks are a key division rival, but also because a loss tonight would continue our current losing skid - not exactly a pattern we can keep repeating if we have a serious eye on the play-offs. As our coach likes to say, these are "measuring stick" games.

Unfortunately a win was not to be, in spite of a very solid effort by the Kings. It was especially encouraging to see a good effort from Erik Ersberg, our back-up goalie. Because as every successful play-off hockey team knows, you need a tested back-up in case the unforseen happens. And we ARE going to the play-offs this year....so thanks Iceberg!

I did get a special little surprise in the 3rd period, when I got to hang out with my buddies Jen, Brianna and Mike in Mike's aunt's luxury box! Watching the camera guys was fascinating, and it was extra fun having free hot dogs, sodas and beer within arms reach. Thanks Mikey!





And now for Opposing Team Hottie of the Night." I always love me some Doug Murray, but I thought I recalled naming him to my "Hottie" team already, and when I checked back to my post from the Kings last home game against the Sharks in October, I confirmed I was right. Luckily, the Sharks defence corps gives me some options, so my pick this time is Drew's fellow Team Canada Olympic teammate Dan Boyle.



Team Canada is looking HOT this year! And they're gonna look even better when they win Gold.

2 comments:

  1. I think I saw you on TV during the Kings/Ducks game (4-0). You're in the highlight video heh. I only realized now because I was watching the highlight reel after I found this blog looking for tip-a-king pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading! That was me in the highlight video. And Tip-a-King pictures are coming, so keep on reading!

    ReplyDelete