Saturday, January 2, 2010

Kings vs Caps: The Battle of the Great 8's

To say that this afternoon's contest between the Caps and Kings was a huge deal may be the understatement of the century. In addition to being a true showdown between the most dynamic player in hockey (Washington's Alex Ovechkin) and the 20-year phenom tasked with defending him (LA's own Drew Doughty), it was the ONE time this year I wasn't wearing a Kings jersey on my back at Staples Center. At least Drew and Ovie wear the same number - so I'm always wearing #8.



That did not keep my Kings buddies (including the cameramen) from harassing me all night, however. I was called a traitor by at least 4 people, either in person or on Facebook posts. But you know what, I've got big shoulders, so I can handle it. And Nadine knows that no matter how much I love her, if the Kings were playing the Caps in the Stanley Cup final, I would be wearing a KINGS JERSEY! She's on her own with her Caps then!

We knew the Caps would be a tough opponent at any time, but the thought of playing them on a Saturday AFTERNOON? Saturday matinee games have been like kryptonite for the Kings this year, and we hadn't won ANY of them going into this contest. To combat the Saturday curse, all the bloggers and news outlets that cover the Kings were encouraged to have fans attempt a "Black Out," where all the fans wore a black jersey, preferably the Kings 3rd "shield" jersey since we have a terrific win record in those.

The first period, surprisingly, went to the Kings. Ovechkin went to the box. Drew threw a MASSIVE hip check on the Caps Mike Green. The Kings outshot the Caps 11-4, and scored the first goal, with an assist to Drew! Looks like Steve Yzerman picked the right defenseman for Team Canada. Sorry Green!

In the second, the Caps caught up on the shot front, and the Kings took several penalties, so thank goodness our PK had it together. Drew had one really crazy "Air Doughty" moment defending the Caps Brooks Laich, and all I could think was "PLEASE don't land on your head, kid!" Luckily Drew was fine, but later in the period the Caps got on the board and tied it 1-1.

Going into the third, I was holding my breath and silently hoping for a miracle. The Kings got the go-ahead goal early in the 3rd (thanks for that short-hander Zeus!), there was a lot of pushing and shoving at one point between Drew and Ovie, and if my lip-reading was right Drew was actually yelling at one of the zebras looking for a penalty. And the best part? When the buzzer sounded and the Kings had actually WON (2-1 was the final score), Drew was the first player to bear hug our goalie Jon Quick! I almost cried!

My one major fail of the game was missing the best photo opportunity of the evening. Someone made a sign that read "Our #8 is better than your #8," and one of the camera guys got it up on the Jumbotron. I was laughing so hard reading it I totally forgot to capture the moment. If anyone has a shot of it, please get in touch with me. I'm sure Drew's fan club would love to have that one.

I did capture THIS moment. Pretty darn cool on the Kings part to celebrate the boys like that during such a big game. I can't wait for the Olympics!



And now for the difficult task of choosing the "Opposing Team Hottie of the Night." I have to say, the Caps GM George McPhee has assembled a hot looking team. I could not find ONE unattractive guy. How is that even possible? I have no idea, but just trust me here. This line-up literally has hotness for every taste.

Of course, you have to start with Ovie. He's got that rakish, bad boy hotness...and when he smiles with that missing front tooth....yeah....



Mike Green...just like a little teddy bear with that mop of hair! And he looked straight at me!



Then you have Nicklas Backstrom, that adorable little Swedish meatball. He looks like he's twelve, but in a totally cute way.



And...*sigh*....Jose Theodore..... He's French-Canadian, and even if he's missing the "tall" he's got the "dark and handsome" part covered...and then some.



But in the end, what's not to like about the very tall and handsome drink of water that is Brooks Laich! His OWN TEAMMATES all vote him their most eligible bachelor, so in the end he won out. My friend Chelsea loves him, so this choice should make her happy too.



Congrats Brooksie! You're the "Opposing Team Hottie of the Night." Look for your award certificate in the mail in 2 weeks. Chelsea's cell number will be on the back.

And let's hope the Kings can capitalize on the incredible energy from this win, because our next task is another tough one. We're swimming with the Western Conference-leading Sharks at the "Shark Tank" in San Jose Monday.

GO KINGS GO!

1 comment:

  1. How am I just reading this now?! And did you send Brooks my number lol. I'm glad he won out in the end, really there was no competition.

    ReplyDelete