Sunday, January 17, 2010

Flat Stanley Meets the Kings!

Meg usually likes to sleep in on Sunday mornings, but she got me up early because we had something really special planned for today. After so many nights and weekends spent watching hockey games, we were finally getting to meet the players! I could hardly believe it!!

Meg says she gets to talk to the players every year at something called Tip-A-King. You buy tickets, and then pay for autographs and photos with the players. All the money benefits the LA Kings non-profit children's charity, Kings Care. So you're doing something for a really good cause, AND meeting really neat people!



I met SO MANY players today, I won't tell you about all of them. But I got all their signatures on my jersey, and I can't wait to show them to Mary when I get back to Rhode Island. I do want to share two of my favorite player stories from today.

The first is about Matt Greene, who plays defence just like Meg's favorite player, Drew Doughty. Matt is really cool and really FUNNY! Plus I love his hair. It looked like he just rolled out of bed! I wonder if I can teach my hair to do that?



Matt was neat because he recognized me right away and said, "Hey, Flat Stanley!" Turns out Matt hosted his own Flat Stanley a couple of years ago when he was playing hockey in Edmonton, Alberta (that's in Canada). He played there before he became a King. Matt's number is 2, his nickname is "Greener," and he's originally from Grand Ledge, Michigan. I need to pull out my map later and find out where that is. Maybe I can visit Matt there again some day!

Later on, we got to meet Jarrett Stoll.



His position is center and he's really good at doing something called "taking face-offs" during games, so Meg got to practice with him while I watched. The one downside of being flat is that you can't hold a hockey stick very well. It looks pretty hard, but Meg was actually able to sneak the puck by him once. I think he did it to make her feel better, but I won't tell her that.



Jarrett goes by the nick name "Stolly," but Greener calls him "Stollamole." I was never able to get a good answer on why that is. Jarrett also played in Edmonton with Matt Greene, but apparently he has never hosted a Flat Stanley. He was still really nice, and he's from a place called Mellville, Saskatchewan, which is in Canada. Another new place to find on my map!

Like I said, I met so many players there's no way I could feature them all, but here's a list every player and where they're from.





We also saw some of Meg's friends, including Nick and Mike who are part of the Kings Crew and give out t-shirts and other prizes during games. They were able to sneak Meg a free one, but don't tell anybody.



Tip-A-King was definitely the coolest thing I have ever done. Thanks to all the Kings players for being so nice! I'm gonna keep my signed jersey forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment