Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Happiest Birthday on Earth

Today was my girlfriend Estacia Arriaga-Mehta's birthday. She is a huge Disney fan, and her lovely and very thoughtful husband Nick got her an annual pass for her birthday. Since we hardly got to talk at the wedding the day before (she was Molly's wedding coordinator and therefore busy almost the entire time), I drove down to Anaheim to spend the morning and early afternoon helping her celebrate at Disneyland.



When you're at Disney on your birthday, you can go to the guest services office and get a Happy Birthday button. Then every employee in the park sees you coming and wishes you a Happy Birthday. That much attention definitely makes you feel special, and who doesn't want to feel special on their birthday? Especially when you're spending it at the happiest place on Earth!



The guest services line was crazy since, on top of being Stacia's birthday, it was Mothers Day. So Eric, Nick and I killed a little time on some smaller rides while Stacia got her birthday button. But first, the boys had to steal my camera for a little self-portrait!



Our first ride was the Mad Hatter's Tea Party, of Alice in Wonderland fame. I have always loved rides that spin, probably because they remind me of many days spinning on piano stools instead of practicing my lessons. And that fun lightheaded feeling when you try to get off the ride is always cool. Although I would not recommend shooting video while you're riding (which I did this time and learned the hard way...).



Stacia finally joined us just in time for the Storybook Land boat ride. Nothing like being swallowed by a whale on your birthday!



Thank goodness Sheriff Eric was there to rescue us!



Then it was on to bigger rides, including the Matterhorn bobsleds...



... and my all-time favorite, Space Mountain!



Space Mountain was especially fun. They've renovated it since my last visit to Disney, so it was darker and faster than I remember, and completely fun! My knees were weak by the time it was over. And of course, they now have the hidden camera that takes your picture right before the end of the ride so you can buy a photo of yourself looking like a scared-to-death little baby. Did I buy it? You betcha! And I even got Stacia a copy as a birthday gift!

The gang spent the rest of the day at the park, while I left around 3:30 pm to head off to my next adventure. More about that tomorrow...I'm exhausted from all this excitement!

Happy Birthday Stacia!

1 comment:

  1. I should have posted this a long time ago, but better late than never. hahaha It really meant a lot to me that you came out to Dland. I love you and your hair! Miss you terribly!!!

    ReplyDelete