Sunday, July 12, 2009

Cool Stuff (Besides Hockey) That Happened This Weekend!

For those of you not interested in hockey, or just wondering if I have any kind of life that doesn't revolve around hockey in some form, don't despair. Plenty of good non-hockey related fun was had this weekend!

Friday after work, I needed a pedicure, and the mall down the street from my office has a great place with massage chairs. Toes prettied up and sufficiently relaxed, I realized I had not been to a movie in as long as I can remember, so I headed over to the theatre (this mall has everything) to see "UP," the new animated feature from Pixar.



Now, I simply cannot go to a movie without popcorn. It's un-American and not fun, plus I consider melted butter a necessary part of the food pyramid, and I was overdue for a dose of happiness. This is one of those theatres that has the do-it-yourself extra butter application fountain, so I loaded it on. You probably can't tell from the photo, but you should feel your arteries start clogging about now.



Even though I was supposed to have my cell phone off, I couldn't resist seeing what kind of picture the camera phone would grab. Pretty good resolution, if I do say so myself! This is not from the movie itself, but shot during the previews. Because using my cell DURING the movie would be the only thing ruder than the entire row of teenagers yakking it up behind me.



As for the movie itself, all I can say is GO SEE IT. NOW! Without giving too much of the plot away, this flick has a talking dog named Dug and and the most awesome female bird named Kevin. She stole the show for me. And Ed Asner as the voice of the main character...perfection. And don't be fooled by the animation. Totally appropriate for kids, but you adults are gonna bawl your eyes out, so take your Kleenex.

After the first rookie scrimmage Saturday, I had my first official visitor to the new place!



My co-worker and music buddy Tammy came over, and we walked downtown to check out the Grammy Museum and have some lunch.



The Grammy Museum was lots of fun, and well worth the $10 summer admission special. Lots of the exhibits are electronic and interactive, including one where you record yourself singing, aided by some direction from Janet Jackson producers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis via taped video.



Here are the key Things I learned at the Grammy Museum during the course of the day:
  • My singing sounds much better in the car or shower than through headphones on a good quality audio playback.
  • Stuff that looks great on stage looks cheap up close (see the exhibit of Neil Diamond costumes). And Michael Jackson's costumes are just plain heavy....
  • Eminem has the handwriting of an axe murderer
  • Taylor Swift is SUCH a girlie girl..handwritten lyrics in red pen
  • Mixing is fun! I'm much better at mixing than singing....
And the best part of the museum was a theatre featuring every single Michael Jackson video ever made, running continuously in chronological order. Weird to remember he once looked like this...



And with that, another fabulous weekend in LA comes to an end. At least the non-hockey related part...

1 comment: