Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Wardrobe Malfunction

Every trainer I know has a few good horror stories of classes gone wrong or crazy mishaps while they're facilitating a session. One friend of mine split his pants open bending down to point out something on a car to student and had to teach the rest of the class with his boxers in view!

All in all, I've been very lucky during my training career, with the exception of one crazy weather related incident in Sacramento a number of years ago. Not brave enough to share that one! Most of my mishaps have amounted to little more than walking around a body shop with a grease smudge on my face none of my students bothered to mention until I saw it in the bathroom during a lunch break.

Until this week! I was in our training center in Tempe, AZ doing a class on coaching skills for a group of my fellow trainers. It was close to the end of the module, and I was leading a discussion when out of nowhere, I felt a snap across the bridge of my right foot. I looked down to discover the top of my shoe coming apart! Without missing a beat, I tried to stay in the same place as much as possible to keep the shoe from flopping around since practically nothing was holding it on my foot.

While my students were taking a break, I found a MacGyver solution. Thank goodness for masking tape. Because the show must go on! So I just cycled the roll a couple of times and basically taped the shoe to my foot. And of course, posted it on Facebook!



Here's a close-up of the "carnage." I do love these, and I'm hoping my shoe doctor can repair it. Looks like a clean break...nothing a few stitches can't fix.



But in the meantime, I needed a dress code acceptable replacement for work the next day. Because of course my shoe would fail during the one trip that I packed NO OTHER SHOES besides flip flops. And those don't exactly meet our work dress code.

So it was off to dinner with some friends from class (wearing the flip flops), followed by a trip to Scottsdale's Fashion Square Mall, where I found these....



Hello, lover! Stuart Weitzman, 65% off. Macy's, I am forever in your debt. And note to self...be the shoe whore you are and bring at least 3 pairs on your next trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment