Monday, June 1, 2009

Weekend Recap: Retail Heaven

This weekend was all about shopping. Why, when I'm now paying almost 10% sales tax (thank you Governor Terminator...) and doubling the cost of the roof over my head in 7 days would I want to go shopping. Because sometimes, as the illustrious Tom Cruise said in Risky Business, you just gotta say "What the &%^$!"

There was a practical purpose to some of my shopping. In the spirit of starting fresh with the move into the new place, I am also leaving behind my old furniture lest my roommates go back to sitting on the floor where they were before I moved in. That means new stuff! And unlike the last time I bought furniture, when my choices were influenced by an ex-boyfriend who disagreed with me on just about everything, I am getting EXACTLY what I want. Last time I wanted leather, but the BF whined "It will be hot and sticky in the summer! We'll freeze in the winter." I knew there was a reason I ditched him. So this time, leather it is!

So my first stop was the high-end furniture store around the corner from my office that's going out of business next month. They actually gave me some pretty good prices, and the pieces they sell are mostly Henredon, Drexel-Heritage...expensive non-Ikea quality stuff that I could never afford before. Here are some of my favorite pieces. Opinions?







The table has a lazy susan in the middle (the marble piece spins), which is kind of cool but sort of limiting at the same time. Undecided on that one.

Then I met Nadine for some outlet shopping, and we saw these at Restoration Hardware. For an outlet, their prices weren't that great, but at least I know where I can find the style of chair I want.



The impractical part of the shopping day revolved around the typical girlie stuff...shoes, bags, Rocky Mountain Chocolate....you know the drill. Although this was my first major shopping trip with my iPhone, so I posted pix of Nadine on Facebook trying on these beauties....Cole-Haan, 50% off...





Alas, no purchase in spite of Facebook encouragement from Michelle and my friend Jillian. In Denie's defense, they're a tad high for standing for any length of time, especially when you've broken a toe recently falling over your dog. Beauty is pain, but walking is essential.

Not to worry, we got plenty of other bargains....and bags!



Now I just have to pack it up and move it this week! T-6 days and counting....

1 comment:

  1. i'm alive (regardless of what my blog might indicate) and I really like the leather pieces. Particularly the ottoman. just one question...how big is that new apartment again? is the furniture big for your little place? or am i remembering incorrectly?

    ReplyDelete