Saturday, June 20, 2009

Breakfast with Deano



LA Kings General Manager Dean Lombardi holds a breakfast meeting every summer with a group of season ticket holders to talk about the Kings plans for the coming year. It's free, and I've never been to one before, so I figured it was a good reason to get up early on a Saturday morning and take a little drive to the Toyota Sports Center in El Segundo. And now that I live downtown, it's only about 20 minutes away instead of 45 - bonus!



There were a few hundred people there, and even a few wearing the right number!





The people that get to ask questions are chosen at random. You put your name in a bowl, but don't have to write your question down, which ensures no "screening." I give Dean a lot of credit for being willing to stick his neck out like that. But this was a pretty well informed group of people, optimistic about the Kings future, so no raw eggs got thrown. That may come later, of course....

I got lucky and was picked to ask a question, which was basically about how we can develop some "killer instinct" and will to win in our guys as a team. Some of them have it individually, but we still need to be more competitive as a team. In short, the response I got was "It's a great question...and we're working on it." For a more eloquent reporting of all the questions from the breakfast, I'd recommend you check out Rich Hammond's "Inside the Kings" blog.

http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/2009/06/gm-breakfast-part-3.html

My question is the "Brian Boyle" referenced one in the third installment.

Oh, and the guy before me asked if the Kings announcers could so something about fan behavior while watching the game. So that gave me a perfect segue into my most important comment of the day....PLEASE learn how to pronounce Drew's name correctly! That one got laugh from my fellow fans.

For his part, Dean continues to pronounce it wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment