Sunday, December 7, 2008

One in the Win Column!

December has been a roller-coaster month so far for the Kings, and we can't seem to get a win streak going without a few losses sprinkled in the mix. So it was nice to get a much needed victory last night against the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Drew played his usual outstanding defensive game, logging the most ice time of anyone on the team. He also got an assist on the final goal of the game, scored by Anze Kopitar. Sully was also great, earning an assist himself, as well as having a chance at a penalty shot the unfortunately went a little high and over the net. Here's an excerpt from his interview with Rich Hammond of the Daily News as posted in Rich's blog, "Inside the Kings..."

KINGS FORWARD PATRICK O'SULLIVAN:

(Re: game recap): "The more times we play games and go through different situations it's going to make our team better. The quicker we are able to figure that out, the quicker we are going to become better. It's going through that stuff in the game that you learn from."

"If everything continues to progress like it is, I think we are going to be a top team. It's hard to say but I think we've got a good coach and the ownership and management have a plan for what they want to do and I think there has already been a drastic improvement in the game so far this year as compared to last year."

(Re: penalty shot) "He's a left-handed goalie, most of the guys in the league catch with the other hand so I was thinking I was going to go high glove the whole time and I pretty much did what I wanted, I just shot it over the net."


Nice job boys!!! We'll be looking for our next win in Colorado Tuesday against the Avalanche.

Now, for the opposing team "Hottie of the Night." Columbus gave us two. The first is an no-brainer, at least in my mind - #61 Rick Nash, team captain, pure power forward, and great looking Canadian.



Number two, and also winner of Best Hockey Hair of the night, is #40 Jared Boll, who hails from Charlotte, NC, of all places! I know Sully was the first NHL player from NC (he's from Winston-Salem), so now he has company. Boll's big game moment was a huge fight with our favorite enforcer, Raitas "Bam-Bam" Ivanans. Normally I wouldn't give lesser mortals a chance against Bam-Bam, but Boll got a hold of him and gave him a black eye. Very scrappy!



I'm also introducing a new element to my Kings related blogs - the Drew vs Sully jersey win contest! Now that I have jerseys for both, and love them both, I rotate #8 and #12 every other game. The most wins at the end of the season will receive special recognition later...haven't decided what that is yet, so let me know if you have ideas. To date, Drew leads with one win to Sully's 0.

And just in case you think hockey games are only about hockey, the video of the night is a segment of "Human Bowling," one of the spirit crew's favorite intermission activities. How they convince anyone to do this is beyond me. I'd have to be drunk out of my mind to get on that sled....



Enjoy!! And.....GO KINGS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment