Sunday, December 21, 2008

Coming Home

I arrived at Washington, DC's Reagan International Airport around 9:30 PM Saturday after a pretty uneventful trip to and through LAX. The flight was only about 30 minutes delayed...a minor miracle given all the weather issues across the country. Of course, it took 20 minutes to get my luggage, and the guy at the Hertz counter wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but overall just normally holiday travel issues.

Thanks to the wonders of Hertz Never-Lost GPS, I made it to my first Virginia stop without incident. My college friend Mike Lindsay had agreed to give me a bed for the night so I wouldn't be driving 3 hours to my moms that late. Plus, I always have a great time catching up with Mike. The bonus this time was seeing Michelle, who was also stopping en route from Jersey to her parents place outside Fredericksburg, VA. We opened a bottle of wine, had some pumpkin roll for dessert, and watched the end of the Cowboys-Ravens debacle. As Redskins fans, it was a pleasure to see Dallas end their reign at Texas Stadium with a loss...GO SKINS!!

The next morning, Mike was headed to the airport to join his wife and son in Iowa for Christmas, and Michelle and I headed out to beat the Christmas shopping crowds and knock the last few things off our lists. But of course there was time for a photo first....



Less fun was the task of defrosting the car, which was covered with frozen sleet from the night before. Luckily the roads were OK....



After Michelle and I finished up and got her on the road to her parents, I drove over to Tysons Corner to meet two more old friends for a late lunch at Cafe Deluxe. Merry Beth Hall (center in photo) and Kristin Elson (right) have been my buddies since freshman year at JMU. We were all in marching band together, and Kristin and I were both communication majors so we were in other classes and clubs together as well. We spent almost 3 hours talking about everything from college memories to current whereabouts of our mutual friends and acquaintances. It's amazing to me how little we've all changed, and our visit was like continuing a lovely conversation that's been going on for years. My goal for 2009 is to continue that conversation on a more regular basis, and I hope the girls hold me to that.



After my wonderful lunch visit, it was time to head north towards home. Luckily, my friends Kris and Cathy Rutkowski live just outside Annapolis, MD, which is right on the way up the shore, so I was able to visit with them and their new baby Rose!



Rose is absolutely precious, and already trying to talk up a storm (she takes after her Mommy on that one)! Kris and Cathy are both adjusting well to parenthood and everything that goes with it. Cathy worked at Progressive prior Rose's arrival, and decided recently not to go back and try out the full time mom thing instead. Kris is also enjoying a break from work (unfortunately due to intestinal surgery, but he's doing just fine) and will be back after the first of the year. And I was thrilled to discover Cathy was up to her usual holiday cookie baking, so I got some snacks for the road!

Then it was time for the last 2 hours of the journey over the river and through the woods to Casa Mama in Lewes, DE. Boy am I tired, but seeing all my friends was worth it. Now I'll see what's on Mom's to-do list....

No comments:

Post a Comment