Sunday, December 28, 2008

A Pain in the Butt!

Since spanking was one of the subjects we laughed about at our little high school reunion, I thought I'd share a piece of Jarrell family child rearing history.

The Board of Education was Mom and Dad's punishment tool when we got too out of hand. Now lest you think my parents beat us silly as kids, I can tell you that absolutely wasn't the case. I only recall getting spanked once, and after that the threat of feeling the board on your butt was enough to make you behave. The funniest part about this picture is how small it is...I always remembered it being the size of a baseball bat!



We did, however, get the privilege of carving our names in it once it got used.



The funniest thing about the Board is how the legend continues with the current crop of Jarrell's. My brother David has told my nephews about his experiences with the Board, and let them know Mom-Mom (my mother) still has it. They asked to see it, and when Mom brought it out their eyes got huge....their Daddy wasn't kidding!

Needless to say, they've never misbehaved enough to put it in use. The threat still works!! I guess some things are timeless...

No comments:

Post a Comment