Sunday, December 28, 2008

A Happy Holiday Reunion

Thanks to the wonders of Facebook, I've gotten back in touch with a lot of old friends from my high school days. Although I avoided the one reunion my graduating class has had, and in general don't have as many close friends from high school as college, it's been really great reconnecting with people. I'm always amazed how age is the universe's great equalizer, making us more alike as we spend more time on this earth and making the differences we focused on so much in our younger days a distant memory.

So when my friend Lillian suggested getting a group together during the holidays, when many of us were home visiting family, I signed on right away. Most of the folks who came are still living in Delaware, many still in the Milford area, and it was a small but merry group. We all had so much fun reminiscing we're already planning a get together sometime this summer when I make my next trip back.

Here's the gang, left to right around the table....Scott, Lillian, Tammy, Lisa, Chris, me and Doreen.







We went around the table and everyone shared updates on what they've been doing for the last 15 or so years, sprinkled with fun memories of our years at Milford High School. A few of my favorites....
  • Chris recalling our English teacher, Ms. Ferrari, botching his first name so much (she had a very heavy Italian accent) that he finally made himself a name tag so she would quit marking him absent. He got sent to the Principal's office for that one! Very funny, since he's now a teacher!
  • Everyone failing our rock identification test in geology class. Sandstone or limestone? Who the heck knows!
  • Lillian recalling yellow permission slips we took home, which if signed meant our parents gave the school permission to spank us if we acted up. Mom remembers signing that one right away!
  • Lisa having all the other science teachers tell her she wasn't guaranteed a good grade just because her Dad was part of the science faculty!
  • Everyone commenting on how hard it was to be a kid in a small town...."Aren't you _____'s son/daughter?" Which apparently still happens all the time to Doreen and Tammy's kids!
After our wonderful trip down memory lane, Lillian and I (the hardcore partiers) headed out to Bubba's to check out a band. She's friends with the bass player, and one of the guitar players actually works with my brother. As if the world isn't small enough already! If you're in the tri-state area and see Love Seed Mama Jump (http://www.loveseed.com/index2.htm) playing anywhere, definitely check them out. You haven't lived until you've heard John Denver's "Take Me Home, Country Roads" turned into a ska anthem!


(The guitar player in the top photo on the far left is Mike, my brother's friend)



It was a late night, but a great one! I can't wait until my next visit home...we're already planning to get together again. MHS 4ever, ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment