Monday, December 22, 2008

Decking the Halls

One of my jobs every Christmas is doing my Mom's decorations. Luckily that just means the inside of the house, so no ladders are required. After helping my Dad do it a couple of times many moons ago, I must admit that outdoor decorations are not exactly my cup of tea. On everything else, my inner Martha Stewart comes out.

Mom keeps it pretty simple, since she ultimately has to take down everything I put up. How rude of me to decorate and leave! And since she's transitioned to small trees now that she's a grandmother living on her own, I like to decorate several different ones with specific themes. Here's a sampling....

The Wooden Ornament Tree
All the ornaments are hand made, many by the father of a friend of Mom's. I love the Santa's done in non-traditional Santa shapes...the star shaped Santa is probably my favorite.



The Pre-Fab Tree
This is one of those completely decorated, plug and go numbers, so it was already up when I arrived. I do get credit for the positioning of my nephews' photos, the Christmas bell and the gilded mini tree.



The Sparkle Tree
So named because practically every ornament is shiny, glittery, or otherwise eye-grabbing. It appeals to the glamour girl in me. And I just love how it glows when the lights are low.



And finally, the mantel. Definitely the biggest challenge from a balance and composition perspective, since it really isn't wide enough to hold anything very tall. The mantel theme this year is Old Country Christmas. Most of the decorations are hand-painted wood, and they have a really cozy, homey kind of feeling. Although the mantel decorations are always anchored by my Mom's Hummel nativity figures. The gold box they're stored in is practically as old as I am, and the figures themselves are collectors items. Once the nativity is up, we're ready for Christmas.

,



So now that the decorating is done, tomorrow will be about gift wrap! I feel a bow blog coming...

No comments:

Post a Comment