Monday, March 28, 2011

Taking A Stand

There were large labor union protests in downtown Los Angeles this past weekend. The only reason I knew about them is because I was walking to a hockey game and streets between my place and Staples Center were blocked off.



I will freely admit I don't devote much time to current events.  Besides major elections, I don't participate much in this wonderful democratic society we're privileged to live in.  I follow world events mainly through the Internet and never watch my local news.  I'm too busy running around, living my life.  I don't have time to worry about things I can't control.


I'm a perfect example of the apathy that has gotten this great country where it is today.   If I took the time to get involved, while I still might not be in control, I would be a part of the solution, not simply one of the many people complaining about the problem.


When I was in elementary school, my father was part of a transit union that went on strike in Wilmington, Delaware.  He went to Washington, DC along with a group of his fellow union members as part of an arbitration committee working to negotiate an end to the strike.  I was too young to understand that he wasn't being paid, which made supporting a wife and 3 small children hard.  I do remember how passionately he talked with friends and neighbors about the issues he faced, even though I couldn't understand them myself.   He was a good citizen and chose to act on what he believed, even though it created hardship for him.


Standing up for what you believe in even when it's hard is exactly the point.  This country needs more people motivated to do just that.  It's the foundation upon which our democracy was built.  My Dad knew it.  These folks know it too.

So even though I don't unilaterally support unions, and I don't know enough about the issues of these protesters to decide whether I agree with them or not, I support their right to protest.  I admire their determination in speaking up.   Change only happens when you show the courage to stand up for what you believe.

Now it's time to figure out what I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment