Wednesday, March 30, 2011

If You Could Start All Over

One of my girlfriends posed an interesting question on Facebook a few weeks back that got me thinking.
If you could clear your slate (in other words, no obstacles in the way) and start again to follow your passion, what career would you pursue?
Growing up, we all have dreams of what we want to become when we're older. Our dreams as children are idyllic and limitless. We don't have the pressure of boundaries and expectations we start to carry around as adults. We dream about being athletes, ballerinas, artists, actors, models, astronauts or rock stars -- things that sound glamorous because as children, we don't know what those roles are really like. We only know the idealized view of them society gives us. 
It was interesting reading through the responses my friend received. A lot of people went right back to those childhood dreams and listed one as their great passion in life. My first instinct was to do the same, but I think I've been an adult too long because I censored myself and tried to come up with something I'm passionate about but could still be a "realistic" career for me. I love taking photographs and I love writing, so photographer and writer would have made great sounding responses. I can't even remember what I chose to post, but I just remember thinking what I answered wasn't really truthful.
If I'm really honest with myself, what I would love to be if I could start over is an organizational expert.
THIS makes me happy.
As everyone in my family and even my closest friends can attest, I've been rearranging stuff my entire life. When I'm stressed out, I clean closets. I reorganize cabinets. Shopping in a container store is sheer nirvana. It's the best way I know to get out of a funk, get your mind back on track and regain control of your life. I would love to make a career out of helping other people find peace through eliminating clutter from their lives. Maybe one day I'll figure out a way to make money doing it.
What career would you choose if you could start over?  

No comments:

Post a Comment