Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Taking A Break

Today was one of "those" days. You know, the ones where everything seems like an uphill battle. I had a couple of big reports to finish and my computer locked up on me twice. I had to rework a bunch of data in an enormous spreadsheet that kept acting buggy. On top of all that, I was cold.

You see, it's starting to get nice and sunny here in Southern California. And when it warms up outside, the building I work in becomes an ice box. I have a sweater permanently draped over the back of my office chair just for this reason, but today it wasn't helping. I had eaten lunch at my desk so I could keep working away on my reports, and there was no reason for me to go downstairs. But being cold was making me start to lose my concentration. So even though time was not on my side and I still had way to much work to do, I decided to take a break and go outside for a bit to see if I could get warmed up.




It's amazing what sunshine and fresh air can do to improve your outlook. I debated for a few minutes about going back upstairs to get my laptop and wireless card so I could work outside! Instead, I took 15 minutes and just sat on a bench with my eyes closed, feeling the sun warm my face.

Sometimes 15 minutes of peacefulness is all you need to get your second wind.

1 comment:

  1. I *so* need to remember this sometimes. I'm glad you did!

    ReplyDelete