Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Lessons From The ER: The Worst Part

Not feeling well is bad.  Feeling like something might be wrong with your heart is worse.  But far and away the worst part of an ER visit is the last part -- THE BILL.

HOW MUCH DO I OWE YOU?

I believe I mentioned I have great health insurance.  I do.  But like most insurance, it includes things like deductibles and co-payments.  Thank goodness I work in the insurance industry and understand what these things mean, so I was at least expecting a bill.   I just had no idea it would be this much.  If this is only MY portion, exactly what does an ER visit cost these days? 

Luckily my insurance has a lovely website where you can review details of your plan and any bills on-line so I could get some answers.  In doing so, I remembered I voluntarily chose a higher deductible plan because I NEVER GO TO THE DOCTOR and it helped lower my insurance premiums.   I've already set a reminder on my calendar to change that during my company's next annual benefits review period!

But getting back to the bill itself.  Here is an itemized list of everything I had done.  Some of it's in plain English, some of it isn't.  Again, thank goodness for my professional background or I'd be going insane trying to understand this.


So what's the grand total for an ER visit including an EKG, chest x-ray, blood test and face time with a doctor?  I was amazed to discover it was $2796.79.  This, my friends, is why you should be afraid of doctors.

Sadly, I've resigned myself to the fact that health care must now be a more regular part of my annual budget.   The best I'm hoping for at this point is simply avoiding another ridiculous bill like this and paying smaller amounts on a more regular basis.

I guess that's a small price to pay for being healthy....and alive.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember back, ooh 10yrs ago, I was so sick I didn't leave my bed for 4 days. I'd get it just to call out of work and back to sleep for 24 hours. Unless I think Im dying no doctors for me

    ReplyDelete