Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Shoppers Guide to the NHL Play-offs

Now that the regular season is over and it's time for the Stanley Cup Play-offs to start, it's time to open your wallets, Hockey Fans! Because while the Cup play-offs are, first and foremost, an incredible display of physical hockey prowess, steeped in many years of tradition, with the ultimate sports prize on the line, they're also a money maker, both for the NHL and the team you hold near and dear to your hearts. So let's talk for a minute about stuff you need to buy, or in my case just WANT to buy, to enhance your play-off experience.

First, you gotta have tickets.



How much you spend depends on a number of factors, such as season ticket holders deals, etc. No matter what deal you get, let's just say you're gonna spend more than you would during the regular season for the same seat. But you know, when you've waited 8 years for a sniff at the play-offs, you don't mind so much.

Next, you've gotta have the proper fan attire, starting with the right jersey.



Now, I already own SEVERAL Drew Doughty jerseys, and my good old purple and black has been good to me this season. But I think it was a little tired after a long season and needed a break. Then the Kings announced the "official" jersey of the play-offs this year was the "Back in Black" model. Yup, the only one I DIDN'T have. But this purchase makes me dress code compliant and gives Drew something else to sign for me.

Of course, if you're normally a little cold during games like me, you also need something to wear UNDER the jersey. But it is starting to feel like spring in LA, and there will be a LOT of people packed into the arena during games, which means body heat, so you don't need something heavy. A t-shirt is the answer! And literally the day after the Kings clinched their play-off spot, these appeared in the team store at Staples Center.



Do I have other Kings t-shirts already? Yes. Do they say Stanley Cup Play-offs? NO. And they definitely don't have the player roster on the back. This is HISTORY people! It must be added to my t-shirt collection.





Finally, because I'm a girl, accessories are needed. I already have my Kings heart necklace and my NHL Dream Capsule that I wear to every game. But the play-offs are a special time....and the Brighton store has these great beads you can use to design your own necklace....so......I made a play-off necklace!



Kings colors, of course, and one bead for each of the 7 games I'm predicting we'll play until we win in the first round against the Vancouver Canucks. When we officially make it to the second round, I'm gonna start adding a bead for every win.

So that's my shopping list! Tell me Kings fans - what's on your play-off shopping list? I'll look forward to your comments.

And as always....GO KINGS GO!

1 comment: