Saturday, April 10, 2010

Kings vs Oilers: Appreciation



The Kings final home game each season is officially known as "Fan Appreciation Day." For me, it normally signals the beginning of what I like to call "The Great Depression," that horrible moment when I first acknowledge I'm seeing my boys for the last time until August.

This year, thankfully, is different since the Kings will see play-off action for the first time in 8 long years. But there is still that twinge of sadness, knowing the end is in sight and summer is almost here.

Missing my boys is the main thing that makes me sad, but the end of the season also means I don't get to share hockey every week with some on my favorite people on Earth. They are my Kings hockey family, and I love them more than words can say. So this blog is my way of showing MY "fan appreciation" for the people that make me love hockey, and the Kings, so very much.

To Brianna and Jen Wells


You are the crown princesses of all the Kings faithful. From the socks, to the signs, to the inside jokes, and everything in between, you've made my days following the Kings colorful, crazy and fun. There is barely a person in Staples Center that DOESN'T know one or both of you, and they all love the way you light up their world. We still need to get together on that little music project we talked about (nudge, nudge....) so I'll be seeing you this summer!

To Jay Flats


Your enthusiastic smile lights up every game and makes it special. You are so wonderful and welcoming to every fan you meet, and your energy is unstoppable and crazy. And having you skateboard up behind me and call out "Hey, pretty lady!" when I'm walking home always puts a smile on my face. And yeah, you're funny as hell and you keep us laughing on those nights when the Kings are making us ready to cry. I'm happy to be your staff photographer anytime. You know where to find me.

To Michael Timoney


You ARE the Kings Crew! No one loves the Kings more than you. You've been dressed as an elf, a Star, a huge white bear, and a million other things his season, and rocked the craziness every time. You're still the most accurate t-shirt cannon shooter in the business, and playing t-shirt slingshot with you at Tip-a-King still ranks as one of my favorite memories from this season. And you're a pretty good hockey player in your own right - Go BOU!! I will ALWAYS be your one and only "Timoney-cam" operator.

To Rachel Craig-Parker


You are the one person on Earth who understands what capturing a memory visually means to me. Thank you for tolerating my big hair in your sight line and listening to my musings on life. You are a unique spirit, and I know I made a friend for life when I met you this year. And you're the only person I know with powerful enough karma to make the perfect sign fall right out of the sky and land at your feet. Keep it coming!

To Luis


For most of your co-workers, being an usher is a job. For you, it's a calling. I will miss your weekly hugs, the roster card you leave on my seat, and all the fun little things you do...like bringing candy at key moments! I look forward to seeing your smile at every game, and I'll truly miss you over the summer. And if your bosses even THINK about reassigning you from Section 114 next year, there will be a riot!

To Nadine


This is all your fault, and I love you for it every day. So many of my favorite hockey experiences, this year and every year, have happened because of you. Being your video queen wing man has been a blast, and you're never getting rid of that "We Believe" sign, because I'm convinced it has luck attached to it. And thanks in advance for giving up your seat for the Kings-Caps Cup final this year so I can keep your husband company while you go commune with your Caps family. But I'm keeping the sign....

And in honor of his incredible career, I do have to throw in one special "official" appreciation mention, to the incomparable Bob Miller


Every time I listen to other sportscasters cover hockey, I realize how truly privileged I am to listen to you talk about the Kings. You're the best in the business, and Los Angeles is lucky to have you. Thank you for all you do, every day, every game, every season. The play-offs will be more special just because you're there.

Finally, I haven't posted a video in a while, so I wanted to share a little piece of Drew participating in the finest player-fan tradition I've ever seen in sports -- giving a fan the jersey off your back.



Thanks to all of you for everything you do to make my life a little happier every week. I am your biggest fan.

GO KINGS GO!

1 comment:

  1. I just got home from a really long day...and this put a big smile on my face. It truly is special being a part of a winning organization lik the Kings! Meg I wanna thank you for being such a great FAN, PHOTOGRAPHER and most of all a great PERSON!

    See ya in Round 1!

    ReplyDelete