Sunday, September 20, 2009

A Big Day for a Great Friend

Finding another person to share your life with is a beautiful thing, and even more special when it happens to a friend. So I was excited that after a week of long meetings, I was able to extend my stay in Phoenix and attend my friend Yulanda Gilliam’s wedding.

Yulanda is a trainer in our Phoenix Claims University group, and we’ve become friends during the course of me assisting with some of her property damage classes. My friend and co-worker Tammy Good was also attending, so we split the room and rental car, which worked out great for everyone involved.

Yulanda is originally from New York City, and relocated to Phoenix a number of years ago. She has worked her way up the ladder at Progressive while supporting her son, Darius, as a working single mother, which hasn't always been easy. I suspected she must be a fantastic mom just from the time I've spent with her, and that theory was validated watching the two of them on this very special day.

Darius has been the only man his mom's life for a long time, so it was a very special moment watching him walk Yulanda down the aisle to her fiance James.



She was crying the whole way, but Darius is a great son and he was ready. When they got to the end of the aisle, he wiped away her tears with a Kleenex, which of course had everyone in the church (especially me) crying too. And then James reached over to him and gave him a hug and kiss on the head. It was one of the most beautiful moments I've ever seen in a wedding.



Later, during the reception, Darius gave a short speech, and I remember him saying that if he had to give his mother to anyone, he was glad it was James. And the tears started again!

You can tell watching them together Yulanda and James are made for each other. They both have a wonderful sense of humor, and smiles that light up a room. And they we're even polite to each other when it was time to cut the cake.



And they both LOVE to dance, so James got the "Love Train" going and had everyone out of their seats.



If their big day was any indication, Yulanda and James are destined for a life full of love and happiness. I was honored to be a small part of it.



Best wishes for an amazing future, girl! You've earned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment