Friday, September 11, 2009

Tour de Offerdahl - Welcome to Portland!

It has been far too long since my last visit with my friend Tanya and her family, so I was thrilled to be invited up for her baby Ava's christening weekend. I even took a couple of days off from work so we could make it a longer visit. Too often, I get in late Friday night, leave early Sunday morning, and we barely get any "girl time." Not this trip! So I headed out to the trusty Burbank airport early this morning to start my journey.

Tanya and Jerry are always so kind and send me passes so I can fly free, which does involve some patience and flexibility. I figured the earlier I started out, the better chance I would get an open seat on a flight, and I was right! I was on the first plane out, and got an immediate connection through Oakland, so I was in Portland before lunch. Tanya's dad Bob brought Addison to the airport to meet me since Tanya and poor little Ava were at the doctors getting a pink eye check. Luckily no pink eye, but Ava was working on a sty in one eye and clogged tear ducts in another one so she would wake up with her beautiful blue eyes all crusty. Poor baby!

Tanya told me they were practicing my name with Addie and talking about my visit all week, but she was a little shy when we met at the airport. I made a big deal out of saying hello to her anyway, and by the time we got to the house, she was ready to hang out and play.

Addie is quite the climber! She loves the slide, and enjoyed going down feet first, head first, or even walking back up the slide. All the things I remember liking to do as a kid!





And one of her favorite things is playing in her kitchen. I think she has a career in front of her.





We also had some fun blowing bubbles, although Addie had more fun pouring the bubble stuff out on the table and finger painting with it.



The biggest thrill of the day was meeting Ava for the first time. She is such a peaceful, happy baby, even though she was congested and dealing with crusty eyes. What a little trooper! And she loves anyone who will holder her! If she started getting a little fussy, I'd pick her up and she would just hang over my shoulder and calm right down. SO different from Addie, who cried the minute I would hold her and only wanted Momma when she was an infant!





Once Tanya got the girls fed, it was time to get them down for a nap. That meant Momma and Auntie Meg actually got to have a quiet lunch together and enjoy some girl time! And Tanya got to share plans for our first adventure of the weekend - a trip out on the boat!

Jerry is such a trooper! Gone all week, comes home tired from working hard, but was still ready to take his girls and guests out for a spin around the Willamette River. He gets my vote for Dad of the Year!







Tanya's parents Bob and Linda came with us too. They brought the most wonderful munchies, and Addie just loves her Grandpa and Grandma!



Our day ended with a beautiful sunset, then it was off to bed. Tomorrow is Ava's big day, and we're all going to need our energy...

No comments:

Post a Comment