Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Let's Go Racing!

Twice a year we have a big meeting with our entire training group. In addition to planning for the upcoming months and discussing what’s going on in our business, we always have some kind of group outing. In the corporate world, this is referred to as a “Team-Building Activity.” In other jobs, I’ve suffered through these things, albeit with a degree of “put on a smile and act like you’re having fun because our bosses want us to like each other.” I am blessed to work with a bunch of really amazing people, so we actually look forward to these kind of events.

After a long day of meetings, our final activity was breaking into groups for the evenings festivities. We found out we were headed to F1 Race Factory to run go-karts, and that there would also be a team competition activity. After being divided into 4 person teams, our task was to create a name and logo for our race team. We quickly decided on the “Flo-Riders” in honor of Progressive’s current advertising icon.

First, we had to check in and sign a waiver so we could race. Then we were directed to our very own party room, complete with food, beverages, pool tables, foosball, and racing themed décor.



After a bite to eat, everyone who planned to race went to a driver’s meeting so we could learn the rules for operating on the track. Once we knew the rules, we were able to race any time we wanted because we had our own group track for an entire hour.





Winners for each heat were determined by lap times, so we were really racing against the clock and not each other. Winners for each heat were determined by lap times, so we were really racing against the clock and not each other.



Although a few of my buddies didn’t think that way and bumped me trying to pass my car. But based on the race rules, bumping another car gets you red flagged and pulled over, so I felt a little vindicated. Of course, I was also one of the slowest cars in all of my races, so the track marshals always had the “Turtle Flag” waving in my direction. Seems my strategy of taking the turns really tight meant I had to slow down more and I couldn’t seem to get back in the gas fast enough.



I need some driving lessons before I’m ready for NASCAR, but at least I look the part.



After we raced, we moved to another section of the complex and found out what our team competition would be. We were going to do pit stops like a real pit crew! Jack her up and change the tires as fast as possible, but no gas because we were inside.



The Flo-Riders came up with a solid strategy, executed it flawlessly (ok, almost flawlessly) and went home with First Place trophies! Flo would be so proud!






With the racing complete and prizes awarded, the only thing left was a group shot for the memory books.



Thanks to all my Progressive buddies for a great time! Now back to the meetings…

No comments:

Post a Comment