Friday, September 4, 2009

In Training: 30 Day Report

It's been 30 days since I started the "Better Meg" challenge, and I'm excited to report....drum roll please.......

I've lost 15 pounds in the past month!

1319 minutes of aerobic activity, more than 75 miles logged on the elliptical, and over 11,000 calories burned. Whew! I'm tired just writing that out! And those numbers are a little low, because I don't know exactly what the round trip mileage to Staples Center is, and I walked back and forth to Hockey Fest all 3 days. If anyone has suggestions for a good pedometer, I'm in the market. I want to give myself credit for all the miles I'll be putting in this season!

And I've come a long way on the food front as well. This week, I had dinner with a group of friends. One couple was visiting from out of town, and another friend had made them a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies for the trip back the next day. When my friend offered me one, her husband said, "Oh, but you're on a diet." I said, "No I'm not. I don't believe in diets." And I proceeded to take a cookie and pair it with a healthy dinner and no additional dessert. And getting on the scale the next morning was just fine.

The biggest thing I've learned in the past month is the power of attitude. So many of my friends have suggested different things to help me lose weight over the years, and you know what stopped me? The emotional half of my brain. The part holding the doubt and the fear took over, and it overwhelmed the logical part that has always known the truth. There are no shortcuts, no secrets...only hard work and the reward that comes from it. It's like anything else in life - you get out what you put in.

It was also nice to start getting comments from people looking at some recent pictures I posted on Facebook, noticing the difference. Coach Nadine actually said to me just the other day, "Can you see from the pictures how different you look?" I agreed I noticed it more in my face than anywhere else, then I looked again and acknowledged I could tell there where some changes. See for yourself....



And it's definitely made a difference in the shopping department. I made a little visit to Ann Taylor Loft and J.Jill this week and rewarded myself with a couple of new pieces. But not too much...because I'm not stopping here. I still have 35 pounds to go.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, just checking in to see how the past couple weeks have gone. I know you were traveling a bunch and that probably made it hard but just wanted to say that I can't wait to see the new, smaller you in November.

    ReplyDelete