Saturday, September 5, 2009

Little Things Matter

Earlier this week, my girlfriend Stacia was in town with her husband and we got together for dinner. I missed her the previous weekend because of all the Hockey Fest goings-on, and was glad to catch up with them before they headed back to Northern California.

One of the many, many things I absolutely love about Stacia is that she understands the power of small but thoughtful personal gestures. When I was living with my roommates and traveling a lot for work, I always loaned her my bedroom if she was visiting while I was away. I would come home and find a handwritten thank you note on the pillow. Who does that any more? She does.

So back in May, when she was here for Molly's wedding, she forgot to pack socks to wear with her sneakers when we went to Disneyland. She called me the morning we were going and asked to borrow a pair, so I threw them in my purse and took them. We had a great day at Disney celebrating her birthday, and I completely forgot about the socks.

So when she presented me with this beautiful box at dinner the other night, I had no idea what was coming....



...until I opened it. She bought me new socks to replace the pair she borrowed! I couldn't help but laugh.



Friends do things for each other all the time without needing or expecting a thank you. But when that unexpected thanks comes, you realize what a true friend you have. And that makes these magic socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment