Wednesday, September 24, 2008

New Kid on the Block

I've been talking about buying a new car for so long, it's become a running joke with almost everyone who knows me. I'm a car person, so I'm pretty picky. I'm also a horsepower junkie, although current gas prices make it difficult to feed that habit. And enjoying the last 5 years without a car payment...well, you know how that goes.

The first car I ever fell in love with was a 1964 1/2 Ford Mustang 289 V8 convertible. Baby blue with white leather interior, it had been completely restored. It was for sale in a small used car lot in Smyrna, Delaware. I remember making my Dad stop so we could look at it. He smiled, shook his head and reminded me it wasn't a very practical car for a soon-to-be 16 year old first time driver. It would be a "classic" in a few years. He was right (as always), but I never forgot that car. Looking back, I wish I could have persuaded him to buy it and lock it in the garage for me until now. It would be a blast to have.

Although I never got that car, I have always loved convertibles and vowed I would own one some day. When I moved to CA in 1999, I finally had the money and the perfect climate for one, so I bought a 2 year old 1997 Chrysler Sebring JXI, fully loaded and red with a tan ragtop. That car has been with me for the past 9 years. This weekend, the top (which has been unraveling and needing replacement for the past year or so) finally gave out, and I knew it was finally time for another car.

Since my first brush with the 1964, I have also always wanted a Mustang. When Ford redesigned it a few years ago, bringing back the more "muscle car" style, I vowed to get the Shelby GT 500 model. Five hundred horsepower....ah, how much fun that would be to drive! I told everyone I knew that was "the car." I was going to order it! Then I kept putting it off. Gas prices went up. I was having too much fun spending what should be car payment money on Jimmy Choos and John Mayer concerts. And the dream faded into everyone asking me, "So, did you get the Mustang yet?"

I think now I put it off because there was something else waiting for me. So when the Sebring top gave out and I finally had to face the reality of a new vehicle purchase, I found this....



Meet the Volkswagen EOS, my new baby. 2009 model, 200 HP 4-cylinder engine (same engine in the Audi A4), power everything, leather, interior, dual climate control, iPod plug in...everything a girl needs. And it even gets 29 MPG on the highway...not bad! The folks at the VW dealer were awesome, and I was in love after a quick test drive. Not to mention this car gets major style points!





But I have to admit, the unique convertible top is what sold me on this car. It has a built-in sunroof, so you can either use just the sunroof or drop the top completely!!! Sheer genius!!



I'm still in the honeymoon period since my first payment isn't due for another month. That makes up a little for the fact that my insurance doubled when I added the new car. But every time I get in and turn the key, I love it a little more, so the money is worth it.

Now she just needs a name. Ideas? Post a comment, and I'll pick a winner and blog about it later. In the meantime, I'll see you on the road!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment