Sunday, September 14, 2008

Passion

Before you get too excited, I'm not talking about the kind of passion you're probably assuming, so get your mind out of the gutter! I want to share a story from a recent trip to Seattle that got me thinking about passion as a way of life.

A couple of weeks ago, I was able to arrange a trip to Seattle on business at the same time my dear friend, Michelle Turenne (on the left in the top photo), was in town for a board of directors meeting. Thanks to the gracious hospitality of Leah Jacobs, my best friend in Seattle, I stayed the weekend and we all got to spend some time at Seattle's most famous landmark, Pike Place Market.

Leah and Michelle are both tremendous cooks, and the market is the perfect afternoon shopping trip for real foodies. One of the places we stopped while window shopping was La Buona Travola truffle cafe (http://www.trufflecafe.com/default.aspx). They have a lovely tasting bar where you can sample all their truffle products, as well as some absolutely wonderful aged balsamic vinegar. The tasting bar is where we met the gentleman in the photo to the left. I wish I could remember his name, but he made our day and made me think.

As we started tasting everything from delicious white truffle oil to an orgasmic 20 year old aged cherry balsamic vinegar, our new friend delighted us with every detail on the products, from the origins, to the barrel aging process, to the subtleties of each flavor, even what types of foods to pair them with. He pulled us in, enthralled us, and made us appreciate every aspect of the experience were we having by the sheer excitement and PASSION he had for his job. We were all so moved, we were completely devastated when a 20 year old bottle crashed to the floor!

Watching someone so in their element is an exciting thing. They light up. They can't tell you enough about that thing they love. They savor every moment, having the time of their lives. And it's a great way to be.

I enjoy lots of things, but I don't think I'm as passionate about anything as this guy was about vinegar. I'd like to be. Now I just need to find something to get that excited about.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying some white truffle spread!

1 comment:

  1. Oooooo....great memory! Am going to have fun cooking with that White Truffle Oil - Luckily, it made it back in the suitcase and didn't end up like the vinegar!!!

    Passion is funny - you have LOTS of passion. For John, for trips. The emails about your rug were wonderful and full of excitement.

    Big Hugs- Michelle

    ReplyDelete