Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Putting a Better Spin on Customer Service

Working in auto insurance claims for 15 years, I've come to understand a bit about the importance of customer service. And I also know just how much effort goes into providing it. I've always said everyone should wait tables at some point in their career, because having a huge chunk of your pay come from tips is a great lesson in how important it is to take care of people, as well as understand what's important to them.

One of the perks of my job now is that I travel a lot, and I get to keep my frequent flyer points for airlines, hotels, rental cars, etc. and use them to have fun Or I should say, I USED to travel a lot, as the not-so fine marketing folks at Hilton reminded me when I got this in the mail:





That's right. After 6 years as a Hilton Diamond member, and in spite of being one of their "favorite guests," I'm busted all the way down to SILVER. They were kind enough to send me my "new" Silver status card and congratulate me on my silver status, but I have to reclaim my VIP standing with them. Nice try on the spin doctoring, Hilton, but I'm not having it.

On one level I understand their approach. Your status level is based on accumulated points over a period of time. To be fair to all the members of the program, you have to be consistent in how you apply the rules. But you know what? That's inside the box thinking. And inside the box thinking makes me feel like I don't matter as a customer, even though I've been incredibly loyal to you for 6 years.

Let's think outside the box for a second. What would be so wrong with a new Diamond membership card with the message, 'We miss you. We hope you miss us too." Why not recognize that my employer, like so many others, is watching it's pennies and that MIGHT be why I'm not staying in one of your hotels 10 nights a month. What would it cost Hilton to extend my Diamond benefits for one more year? Nothing.

If you want to keep your customers, forget the spin doctoring and start thinking outside the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment