Friday, March 5, 2010

In Training: Helping the Condors Fly

One of the goals of my "In Training" project was finding ways to get more activity into my life every day, and not just in a gym. The Kings 5K race was a fun start, but the event I'm doing this weekend combines my quest for activity with the passion I have for ice hockey in a very unique way.

For the past several months, Nadine has been telling me about a very special hockey team she has gotten involved with coaching - the California Condors. I've been intending to get out and watch a practice so I could see what it's about, because she simply lights up talking about the kids she works with. I just haven't had the time.

So when she mentioned a fund raising event this weekend, and I wanted to help. She sent me some excellent information about the team, including this letter from one of the kids that helps coach the Condors. This fundraiser was his idea, and I was so moved by Kyle's letter, I'm going to print it here and let him tell you the story.

****************************************************

My name is Kyle Woo. I play hockey for the West Valley Wolves hockey club. For the last two years, I have been skating with and coaching the California Condors.

The Condors is a special needs hockey team for children and young adults. All of the players have developmental disabilities. We are organizing a fundraiser so that the Condors can play in the preeminent special needs tournament, the Special Hockey International Jim Gregory Friendship Tournament in Ontario, Canada April 15-17.

The Condors are an amazing team. I have learned so much about hockey and life by watching the Condors practice and play. Their commitment and work ethic and love of the game of hockey is truly inspiring. I am very lucky to be able to play for the Wolves club and pursue all of my hockey goals. It is different for the players on the Condors. Below is an excerpt from the Special Hockey International website:

"Can I drive your car when I turn 16?"
"I want to be a teacher when I grow up"
"When I get to the NHL, I want to play for the Leafs"

This is the world of most young kids growing up. It's natural and for most kids these things are all possible. But what if you're developmentally challenged. You have autism, or downs syndrome, or Aspergers, or some other developmental challenge...you ask those same questions, you have those same dreams. But when the time comes you might have other questions.

"Why can't I get a driver's license?"
"Why can't I go to work?"
"Why can't I play on my brother's team?"

Then you realize you are in a different world. And you are always looking in. You live in this world but you're not always really a part of it. That's where Special Hockey comes in.

I have attached a lot of information about our fund raising event. Please take the time to read about this very special team.



****************************************************

Needless to say, I was beyond moved. So I'm strapping on the skates and bringing my checkbook. Here are the basic details if you or someone you know would like to join me and help this amazing group of skaters. Please contact me if there are any details I forgot that would help you.


Skate-A-Thon to benefit the California Condors, a special needs hockey team, consisting of players with developmental disabilities

Valley Ice Center
8750 Van Nuys Boulevard, Panorama City, CA
818-893-1784

Sunday, March 7 from 3:30pm – 5:45pm

ADMISSION: $50 MINIMUM DONATION/PLEDGES

All proceeds will be used to partially cover tournament and travel costs for the Condors to participate in the Special Hockey International Jim Gregory Friendship Tournament in Ontario, Canada on April 13-17, 2010

And if you need special incentive to help....

SPECIAL GUESTS:
2010 NHL HALL OF FAME INDUCTEE LUC ROBITAILLE
AND OTHER CURRENT LA KINGS AND KINGS ALUMNI

PIZZA AND DRINKS WILL BE PROVIDED
ALL SKATERS WILL BE ELIGIBLE FOR GREAT RAFFLE PRIZES
LIVE AUCTION FOR AUTOGRAPHED LA KINGS ITEMS


The world is a better place because kids like Kyle Woo learn these kind of life lessons playing a great sport. And because adults like Nadine Donat volunteer their time to teach kids to skate that would never have the chance otherwise.

Something tells me I'm going to get much more out of this experience than I end up giving.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for telling people about special hockey. I linked to your post from the American Special Hockey Association's Facebook page. Please become a fan and spread the word -- www.facebook.com/specialhockey

    ReplyDelete