Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Flat Stanley Goes To Work

Hi everyone! Stanley here, with my latest report from the lovely city of Los Angeles. Meg and I decided I could write our reports from now on, now that I am well rested from my long trip through the mail. Meg does check my spelling before we post things though, because I'm not the best typist on the planet.

I've been having a lot of fun here, and I'm learning new things every day. First off, Los Angeles is HUGE! Millions of people live here, and there's so much to do, I barely know where to start sometimes. Luckily, Meg has been an EXCELLENT host so she's been helping a lot.

This week I get to find out what going to work is like, because Meg says you have to pay the bills before you can have fun. So we had to get up EARLY and go to her office, which I'm told is in a city called Pasadena, about 15 minutes away from where she lives.

The best part about going to work in California is the weather. It is almost always sunny and warm here, and Meg's car is a CONVERTIBLE, which is the coolest thing ever. A car without a roof! I've never ridden in one of these before, and it was so much fun being able to look up at the sky and feel the sun on my face, even early in the morning.



We stopped at a place on the way to work that Meg called Starbucks. She goes there every morning to get her coffee and egg sandwich before she starts work. All the people working here said hello to her and knew just what she ordered, so it seems like she spends a lot of time here. And there were lots of other people at the Starbucks as well, so apparently this coffee thing is a big deal here in California.



Meg gets something called a Venti Non-Fat No-Whip Peppermint Mocha. She let me try a little bit, and it was OK, but I think I'll stick with good old hot chocolate if it's okay. Meg says coffee is an acquired taste and it's okay not to like everything, but you should always try new things just to give them a chance. I think that sounds like a good philosophy...I'll have to remember that on my next trip.

Then we drove another few minutes and arrived at Meg's office. It's in an office building on the 5th floor, so we had to take an elevator to get there. The door man was also very nice and said "Good Morning" to Meg. He also said "Go Kings," so apparently he knows how much she likes hockey.

This is a picture I took of Meg's office, which is not really an office at all. It's just a cube with walls, a desk, and a computer. There isn't even a door for any privacy! But Meg said not to worry, because she works with very nice people and isn't here much any way because she travels around to different offices for her work. But I did like that she had pictures and things to look at on her desk, otherwise I would have been REALLY BORED.



It took a little while to get the computer started up, but once we did, Meg read her emails, worked on what she calls "projects," and got ready for a trip we're going to take tomorrow. We get to visit another office in a city called Riverside! I can't wait!

Work is really fun...why do adults complain about it so much?

No comments:

Post a Comment