Sunday, October 25, 2009

All About Drew

Tonight the Kings played host to conference rivals the Columbus Blue Jackets. I knew it would be a great match-up since the Jackets are always tough competitors, and both teams are off to a great start this year. They even have one of our former goalies on their team. Welcome back Mathieu Garon!



But what made tonight even better was what I picked up when I walked in the door....

Drew's first roster card of the season!



I don't know if many other teams do this, but the Kings print up an 8x10 card for every home game featuring a Kings player on the front, and the rosters for both teams on the back. Part of the fun coming to each game is never knowing who will be on the roster card. So far this season, it started with our 3 captains in order - Brownie, Kopi, then Greener - then other players in no apparent order. I collect the cards during the season, and have the players sign them at Tip-A-King, so I normally get at least two - one for the event, and one to hang on the roster wall in my office. But since this is Drew, I grabbed a lot...probably enough to wallpaper my entire apartment. But we'll keep that between us....

The Kings sure picked a great night to feature Drew, who added two more assists to his season tally and helped the team to a convincing 6-2 win. He also took a nasty elbow to the head from CBJ's Jakub Voracek, who I hope gets his ass suspended. After taking a nasty spill along the boards and getting up a little slow, Drew was right back out on his next shift. And more importantly, it looks like his teeth stayed in place. In the meantime, I'm gonna hunt down Mr. Voracek and break his elbow.

Mr. Elbow Headhunter aside, the Jackets have some much nicer, extremely good looking players, which brings me to my "Opposing Team Hottie of the Night." When Columbus comes to town, there's no one I admire more than team captain Rick Nash.



From the neck up, he looks like an adorable 16 year old with his spiky hair and his boyish smile. Everything below is all man...6' 4" and 218 lbs of man, to be exact. When this damsel is in distress, I want him riding up on the white horse! Of course, our goal tenders hate him, because he's a fast skater with a demonic shot. Jon Quick had to stop a Nash penalty shot tonight, so he knows first-hand. Kind of like stopping a freight train, but he did it.

I also have to give a little honorable mention in the "Hottie" category to Antoine Vermette. Quebec just produces beautiful hockey players...and they can whisper sweet nothings to you in French. Lord help me....



Our next home game is Thursday against the Vancouver Canucks, currently playing without their superstar goalie Roberto Luongo. Hopefully that means another Kings win. At least my purse will be lighter coming home from that game...these roster cards are heavy...

No comments:

Post a Comment