Sunday, October 12, 2008

Rough Start















I've been looking forward to the Kings home opener all week. New team, new attitude, reunions with old seat buddies, seeing our favorite ushers again and of course, the end of my wait to see Patrick O'Sullivan go flying down the ice with the puck. I enjoyed all that and more tonight, although I suppose winning the game would be asking too much.....
















Yup, Kings lost 1-0 to the dreaded San Jose Sharks. It doesn't help that our former captain Rob Blake now plays for the Sharks (although the crowd did an awesome job booing him). Or that our $47 million man Anze Kopitar lost his temper after a bad play, smacked his stick on the glass by our bench and broke it, earning himself a 10 minute misconduct penalty. Or that the Kings were denied not one but two legitimate goals on lousy officiating! Oh, and did I mention Jack Johnson, one of our key defencemen who plays huge minutes every game, has an "upper body extremity" injury and left the game after the first period. I mean, come on! What else could possibly have gone wrong?

In fairness, I shouldn't be all doom and gloom. Sully didn't play on the starting line (where he belongs), but he got in a lot of minutes and looks pretty good for missing all of camp on the contract issue. It won't be long before he's back on the top line again. Our penalty kill was good, and defensively we're head and shoulders above where we were last year. We just need to get some offense together and get the puck in the net. And bring Kevin Westgarth back to start some more fights...I miss his energy!

One bonus moment of the night was my "Welcome Back Sully" sign and I making it onto the jumbotron during pre-game! I'm hoping he saw it.















I guess we've got nowhere to go but up....

No comments:

Post a Comment