Monday, October 13, 2008

"We Check Everything But Bags"

I got far too little sleep last night and had to get up really early this morning to make the dreaded trek to Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) for an 8 am flight to Dallas that will eventually get me to Tampa, FL. I wish I could say this trip was for fun. Not that work isn't fun (threw that in in case my boss is reading...) but you know what I mean. Work is work. Although I will be tacking on a visit to Michelle at the end of the week before I head back West, so I guess there is some fun in this trip. Although not at this stage.

Anyway, the phrase "We check everything but bags" greeted me in the parking lot shuttle this morning. It's an ingenious advertising campaign for my boys, the LA Kings. It made starting the morning so much more pleasant to think about hockey! Unfortunately, the phrase took on a different meaning once I reached the airport.

I'm on American Airlines thanks to Progressive's travel service and their cost parameters. Flying other airlines reminds me how much I truly love Southwest and wish they could take me absolutely everywhere. American is one of the nickel-and-dime operations that now charges you for every checked bag. Now I appreciate there is a cost to the airline for handling my wardrobe changes, so one part of me gets it. But what the bean counters at American failed to understand is that every plane now takes longer to load because people are trying to carry on huge bags that don't fit just to avoid the charge. That costs money. And the time of the gate agents gate-checking those bags. That also costs money. I could go on an on. Suffice to say, American is a great example of why so many airlines are in bad shape.
But the funniest "checking" incident took place when I went through security. I was wearing a metal free outfit, wearing jewelry tested on many trips that I knew passed metal detection. I pulled out all my liquids, did everything I was supposed to. But going through the gate, the damned buzzer went off. Anyone guess what caused it?
My 1/8 inch wide, 2 inch long barrette! The screener actually made me take it off and send it through the x-ray on the belt and everything. I've been teased about my big hair all my life. Nice to know it's an official threat to national security.....

No comments:

Post a Comment