Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Long Overdue

As any hockey fan will tell you, the players name you decide to wear on your back is no small decision. During my relatively short tenure as a Kings fan, I've had several "favorite" players. My first year, it was Sean Avery, because he was brash, scrappy and played with a ton of energy. When he got traded to the New York Rangers, my loyalty went to Anze Kopitar, the Kings then 19-year old Slovenian phenom. Anze's an awesome kid, but something still didn't feel right. I wasn't getting that connection to motivate me to wear the name.

At my first Tip-A-King in February of 2007, I met Patrick O'Sullivan. He was in the same tent with team captain Matty Nordstrom and Jamie Lundmark. At the time, Patrick was floating back and forth between the Kings AHL affiliate Manchester Monarchs and the NHL club. I remember cracking up when he smiled because he was already missing a bunch of teeth on one side! Most of the guys were still hung over from partying after a big game the night before, so they were absolutely hilarious. This group shot is my favorite one from the 2007 event. Patrick is on the left.














During the season last year, I started watching Sully more closely. The guy got hit in the face with a puck and knocked out 3 more teeth in the first home game of the season. He actually came back and finished the game, only finding out later he broke a bone in his face! OK, so he's plenty tough. Then Nadine and I got passes to a post game reception and we spent some time talking to him. He's basically shy but totally nice, and has the best attitude going. He's had some interesting challenges in his young life, but he's overcome them by working his ass off for everything he has. LOVE that! Something told me then...this is the guy.

About a month later, the Kings Care Foundation had a signed O'Sullivan jersey available for bids during the game. I knew that was my moment, so I stood by the booth for 20 minutes and one-upped everyone who dared to put down a bid. I finally had my jersey!! So of course, it was time to take a photo....















At Tip-A-King 2008, we got another photo. Looks a little more grown up, huh? Still totally nice. I told him the story of how I scored his jersey by beating off a bunch of other people, and he thought it was great.













Sully had an awesome year, ending up 4th on the team in goals and total points. So at the end of the season, when it came time to re-do his contract, everyone including me thought it would be the easiest deal ever. Oh, if that were only the case!! Anyone who talked to me at some point this summer heard my frequent "Sully Watch" updates. The negotiations dragged on for ages, with deadlines passing and rumors swirling. I was even prepared to by another O'Sullivan jersey for different team if he got traded, all the while hoping against hope he would stay.

It was a LONG, agonizing summer, and fall hasn't been much better until today. But the wait is now over. We finally have contract!!! And have 3 more years to wear my jersey.

Welcome back Sully!! See ya in a few days....the home opener is this Sunday. GO KINGS!!!

1 comment:

  1. YAY!!!!! So glad they finally worked this out. He's a great guy and I know how much you enjoy watching him play. GO KINGS!

    ReplyDelete