Monday, October 27, 2008

Life on the Road

It's been a busy couple of weeks on the road, and as many of my friends keep reminding me, I'm way behind on my blog posts. Part of me is flattered at the fact anyone cares what I have to say. But I also admit it feels like pressure sometimes...one more task on life's ever-growing to-do list. Nonetheless, I'm going to make my best effort to catch up this week and provide more of my entertaining insights and observations to my loyal readers...who are also the best friends in the world!
First stop - Dallas, TX, the first leg of my journey from LAX to Tampa, FL for a meeting a couple of weeks ago. It's been a while since my last stop through DFW, and I must admit they've made some terrific renovations. This one gave me pause....















It's a complete convenience store in a box. Now I've seen smaller versions of this in hotels, a kind of souped up vending machine. In fact, the one at the Holiday Inn in San Jose dispensed some much needed cold medicine for me once upon a time. But this contraption had everything from Tylenol to "Armadillo Droppings," which is apparently Texan-speak for chocolate pieces. And as I marveled at this glass-enclosed robot-operated convenience store in a wall, a bunch of thoughts occurred to me:
  • I can buy stuff even when the airport is deserted and everything is closed...how convenient!
  • I wonder how Armadillo Droppings taste...
  • Nice not to have to talk to anyone if I need a quick shot of Pepto...does that make me anti-social?
  • Is this what the world is coming to? No human interaction? Just the swipe of a credit card?
  • Wow, I'll bet this thing put a bunch of people out of jobs.
In the end, I passed on the Armadillo droppings and went to the Starbucks across the hall instead. Until the robot convenience store perfects the caffeine delivery system, I still need people to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment