Monday, March 19, 2012

Back In Training: Facing The Fat

Time is a funny thing. When you're frustrated and unhappy, the hours and days can seem to drag on for an eternity. When you're happy, time passes so quickly it practically evaporates without you even knowing it. But the one universal aspect of time is that everyone occasionally looks back to some point in their past and wonders how they got where they are in the present moment without realizing what was happening.

I'm having a gut check moment about where the last two years have gone -- a literal GUT check.

Courtesy of The Culinary Gadabout


Back in August 2009, I made a commitment to myself. Weight loss was a huge part of it, but it was really about getting healthy and feeling better about myself. I set weigh loss goals, I started getting into the gym on a regular basis and I was eating healthier than I had in years. I didn't reach my weigh loss goal, but at my lowest weight I was 70% of the way there. Then I slowly fell off the wagon.

So what happened? I met a guy, became blissfully happy, got busy at work, started traveling more and little by little put a lot of the weight back on. An appetizer here, a dessert there, a few cocktails with co-workers, a treat of Wetzel's Pretzels at every Kings game,  a "I'm too tired to work out" excuse or three. Multiply that by 365+ days and it's not a formula for success.

So here I sit, almost 2 years post challenge, slightly lighter than when I started with a man that still loves me no matter what, but not feeling as good about myself as I could be. And more importantly, far less HEALTHY than I need to be.

The good news about regaining weight is knowing you can lose it again. After all, you did it once before! You know how! You just have to find that moment when you're ready to put the work in.

I've put it off much longer than I should have, but my moment has arrived! I'm firmly back on the wagon, and I have some new strategies and tools to help me on my fitness journey. And as I found out last time, talking about it is a key to being accountable, so look for updates here!

Speaking of time, it's time for me to get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment