Sunday, May 1, 2011

Life, Reality and Best Laid Plans

You've all heard the quote "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans." With the Kings season over, along with my vacation, I was making lots of plans for how I would spend a quiet month of May at home, cooking and catching up on all my creative projects.

When your boss calls you at 6:30 AM on a Friday, you know it can't be for a good reason. Sure enough, my company had raised an alert for assistance with the increasing number of claims coming in due to the recent storms in the Southeast. Could I volunteer for 3 weeks of duty?

As much as I would rather be at home making scrapbooks, I couldn't say no and volunteered to help. After all, I am so fortunate to have a roof over my head, my personal belongings intact and my car undamaged. So many people suffering from this storm DON'T have that. Giving 3 weeks of my time to help handle their claims is the absolute least I can do.

Volunteering for duty basically meant dropping everything and getting ready to spend three weeks on the road -- with slightly more than 24 hours to get ready for departure. So I spent a portion of the day running errands, including some last minute shopping for things I'll need in the field.









It also meant doing a whole host of things around the house. I'm one of those neurotic people that has to clean, do all the laundry and make sure the house is completely picked up before I go anywhere. I just can't stand the idea of coming home after a long trip and feeling like I already have a pile of work in front of me.

I'll do my best to keep things updated personally while I'm on the road, but working 12 hours days may make that a challenge. So if you don't see me around the blogosphere much, just know I haven't disappeared for good.

My best laid plans will still be there waiting when I get home...they're just on hold for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment