Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Getting Back To Normal

After working 21 days with only 1 day off, I got to enjoy 3 days of solitude before heading back to work.

I was so happy to be home I didn't leave the house for the first two days, and I only partially unpacked. They say you can't store up on sleep, but I gave it my best shot by rising late and taking frequent naps, with a few meals and some internet time in between.

By today -- day 3 -- I realized I had better get my butt in gear and face the world again. That meant finally unpacking, doing laundry and making a list of errands and shopping I needed to accomplish to start getting back in the swing of things. Frankly, the list was so long it made me want to crawl right back into bed and avoid it all for one more day.

Laundry and unpacking somehow turned into a minor closet reorganization and Goodwill purge. For someone who isn't a very casual dresser, I own more t-shirts than most guys I know, and two large bags headed out to the nearest donation bin. For a second I debated on keeping them for workout clothes, then I realized I wear the same stuff over and over again to the gym and I'd never worn any of the things I was pitching. Not to mention the fact that my last gym visit was....let's not go there. I feel awful enough already.

With that done, I ventured out. My first surprise was realizing the last time I left my car, I had put the top up but forgot to close the windows. They were open the entire 3 weeks I was gone. Thank goodness for covered, gated and security monitored parking or I'd probably be dealing with a stolen car.

I started it up, and of course the tire pressure light went on, followed by a reminder that I'm due for my 30,000 mile maintenance.



Going out was supposed to remove things from the to-do list, but now I was adding. At least gas is about 10 cents LESS a gallon than when I left.

After getting air in my tires and gas in the car, I stopped by Kovacs Luggage to get the broken wheel on my computer bag replaced. I've had that bag 8 years with no issues, so it was about time for a wheel to go. I'd also been considering looking at new bags since I carry 2 laptops on my work trips, so I poked around the store a bit after I dropped off my bag. I must have been destined for something new, because I found one on sale -- and it's purple to boot!



Maybe re-entry to the real world wouldn't be so bad after all.

Next I headed to Michael's Crafts to look for a scrapbook for a project I'm working on. Everything they had was 25% off, almost like they knew I was coming. I love it when a plan comes together! Finish the day with a much-needed pedicure and some ice cream, and life is back on the upswing!



At least until I take another look at my to-do list. I think I'll put that off until tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment