Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Long Journey Home

I've never been able to figure out why traveling home from any trip is always more arduous than the journey getting there.

If it's a pleasure trip, you're no longer looking forward to a big adventure so the excitement is gone. If it's business, you're probably more tired from working your butt off, which means you have less patience when problems crop up. Whatever the reason, finding your way back home is exhausting.

All the permanent CAT reps talk about the "Going Home Giddiness" you feel on your last day of duty. I think I felt it a little early, which caused me to book an early morning flight. Or maybe I just wanted to get the heck out of dodge, if you know what I mean.

But being up so early seemed to guarantee little snags in my travel all morning. Like having to walk all the way back to the rental car drop off after learning there was no live person to check in my GPS unit (why a rental car company uses portable GPS units is beyond me...).

Or having to shepherd a woman without glasses and no experience through the US Airways electronic check-in process because the ticket agents were too rude to help her get to the funeral she was attending in Baton Rouge. If there is a Rapture, those US Airways folks earned their spot in hell. I, on the other hand, probably saved myself by helping that poor woman.

It certainly didn't help that I was doing all this dragging a computer bag with a broken wheel as its loud "clackety-clack" noises made every head around me turn and look at me like I was disturbing the balance of the universe.



I've never been more excited to get back to the craziness of Los Angeles. I want my life back.

No comments:

Post a Comment