Monday, May 7, 2012

Dermatology for Dummies: The Results Are In...

When I planned my post-biopsy follow up appointment, I intentionally picked a Monday. If the news was good, it would get my week off to a fantastic start. If it wasn't good, finding out early would be the mental equivalent of ripping off the band aid and getting down to the business of dealing with the wound underneath.

Well, the band aid is off now.

The biopsy revealed a basal cell carcinoma, the most common and curable form of skin cancer. That's right, I have skin cancer.

As I processed the news and listened to my doctor discuss next steps, I realized it was the news I was expecting. Over the last few weeks I had run into a few friends that had skin biopsies before and none of them needed stitches. I knew when I first saw the spot on my shoulder it didn't look normal. And when you're a person like me who avoid doctors like the plague and you suddenly start getting proactive about scheduling appointments and actually look forward to seeing your doctor, it's a sign that deep down you know something is wrong. You know you need help and you can't get it soon enough.

While I would have preferred a resounding "There's nothing wrong with you" diagnosis, it's the best case scenario possible under the circumstances. After removing my stitches, the doctor pronounced me a "very good healer." The biopsy confirmed the tumor is only affecting surface cells, so the treatment is simple -- just remove the rest of the affected skin. This can be done using either a cream that will dissolve the damaged tissue or by having another outpatient procedure in my dermatologist office to cut it off, very similar to the biopsy process.

I have a small scab left over at the biopsy site that my doctor wants to disappear completely before making a decision on the best method. If it doesn't seem to be spreading, the cream is the way to go because it will minimize scarring. I'm grateful I've never been any one's idea of a beauty queen, so even if it has to be cut off it won't bother me. Besides, at its current length my hair covers the spot most of the time.

While this type of skin cancer rarely metastasizes into something more serious, I'm not completely out of the woods. I asked my doctor if there was the possibility I could have other tumors crop up now that I've gotten one. She confirmed I could -- there is actually a 90% chance of it. She was quick to point out that figure includes older segments of the population including people, like my mother for instance, who NEVER used sunscreen and fried themselves with baby oil and iodine to get a good tan. And for every year I DON'T get a new tumor, the possibility of me having another one reduces. There are plenty of people that never have more than one basal cell carcinoma, so hopefully I'll end up in that group.

To help my chances along, my doctor will have me back in six months for an upper body check since any new tumors are more likely to pop up there. I'll also continue annual full body screenings. Most importantly, I'm going to do a better job of protecting myself on a daily basis. Sunscreen is my new moisturizer.



I have plenty of questions now I didn't think to ask during my appointment this morning. How do I handle sun exposure situations for the rest of my life? Is wearing sunscreen enough or should I avoid the beach and the pool altogether? Is it time for me to trade in my convertible? Will my wardrobe have to include long sleeves and hats no matter what the weather? So many questions...

I may not love the answers, but I'm not going to stop living my life. Things will just need to change a little and the change will be for the better. I haven't been given a death sentence. Lucky for me, fate gave me a wake up call instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment