Saturday, May 26, 2012

New Places: Huntsville, AL

Back in March, I started a new blog feature highlighting places I was visiting in my work travels by telling you things I learned about Baton Rouge, LA. After a bit of a break, I got back on the road again this week and headed out to Huntsville, AL.

Huntsville is the fourth largest city in Alabama with a population just over 180,000 people. It is nicknamed "The Rocket City" because of its long history with United States space missions, starting in early 1956 as the Army Ballistic Missile Agency (ABMA). It is also home to US Space Camp, attended by my very own boyfriend in his youth! I found out first hand about Huntsville's "humid subtropical climate," with high average temperatures in the 89 degree range. Thank goodness for air conditioning!

But facts and figures can only tell you so much about a new place. Getting there and exploring is the real fun. So thanks to a little help from a friend and former resident of Huntsville, here are some of the things I learned trying to check out the city like a "local."

When I entered Alabama via the Huntsville airport, I knew right away the residents know how to have a good time.


When I picked up my rental car and hit the highway, I discovered that drivers in the state LOVE their gas pedals. The highway speed limit is 70 MPH and I almost got run over at least twice merging onto the freeway. Maybe its the influence of the aerospace industry, but it seems like the preferred method of transportation for some drivers should probably be a rocket. They have those here too.


I wanted try to some local restaurants while I was in town, so I started with a recommendation from a friend who used to live in Huntsville and stopped in at Bandito Southside. It features good Mexican food, awesome margaritas and conversation from Tess, the coolest bartender in Huntsville, and live music. Needless to say that was a big thumbs up and exactly what I needed after a long day at work.


Bandito is like the Mexican food version of Friends. Everyone there knew each other, and if they didn't Tess made sure they got acquainted. But this is also the kind of place where folks are friendly to a fault and interested in meeting new people, so I struck up quick conversations with some interesting folks.

The first guy was the dad/sound man/photographer of the singer playing that night. When he asked me where I was from and I said Los Angeles, he said "It's a good thing you didn't say LA." When I asked why, he explained that LA stands for "Lower Alabama" (aka the Redneck Riviera). I told him I guessed that meant I was from LSD ("Lower Slower Delaware"). We both got a laugh out of that.

My second bar buddy was a local beer distributor that hooked me up with some souvenirs to remember Huntsville's favorite local brew. I wish I'd had time to stick around for the brewery tour.


Beer is required when you're down South, but so is BBQ. All of my co-workers at the Huntsville office kept talking about Dreamland, and I found a location less than two miles from my hotel. The portions are HUGE, the prices were right and they're big local sports supporters -- including HOCKEY!


I can highly recommend the ribs and mac and cheese, plus some peach cobbler for dessert. Then prepare to put up your feet and let it digest, because you'll be FULL.

This is the HALF rack. My advice -- don't attempt the full without backup.

The folks at my office also told me that lots of people in the local area head south on the weekends to visit the Gulf Shores beaches. I decided to add a visit there to my bucket list when i learned about The Flora-Bama. It's a bar that straddles state line between AL and FL so when it's last call in one state you just cross the bar to the other side. I'll bet they have plenty of red cups there!

I was actually kind of sad to be leaving, but the heat and humidity at 4 AM made me realize one aspect of life in the South I wouldn't miss. But the airport won HUGE points with me for actually having food service at 4:30 AM, so I just might have to come back some day. But I think I'll skip the pig and cow poop...


Now I have a few days off until I head southeast again.

Next stop, Mississippi!

No comments:

Post a Comment